I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building Interline rods
Posted by: jeremy airey (---.bl.uk)
Date: July 02, 2008 02:45AM

Hi Chaps

Greetings from across the pond - it's been a while.

I am interesting in building an interline rod and would like your help re. guide choice. That is to say are any special characteristics needed for the blank apart from it being hollow?
As a travelling angler some of the larger guide sizes used (30/40 mm) are a pain in the butt in rodtubes. Also if damaged $50 plus for a replacement (UK prices) makes carrying spares costly. Also steel guide frames and carbon blanks aren't the best of travelling companions in a rod tube - even if well padded.
I've noticed that most interline rods use a low profile almost 'low rider' style guide for the 'butt' ring.
So am I missing something obvious - eg are the inside of the rod blanks lined in some way?

Help please.
thanks
Jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building Interline rods
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 02, 2008 05:43AM

The inside of those Interlines were ceramic lined, with a spiral in it. They didn't work as well in th real fishing world as thought. I would say making one would be pretty difficult. The "butt guide" was a ceramic line entry port to the hole in the blank. Would also be tough to open out a blank without drastically compromising its structure and integrity.

The original blanks I think were made by laying up the carbon pre-preg flags over the core, then baking them together.

Posted by: George Vlagakos (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 07:56AM

As a suggestion would Fuji's Folding guides be a better option than an Interline rod .They go from 20mm-40mm.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 11:41AM

The Fuji Lowrider System is their answer to the Interline rods. Both Shimano and Daiwa designed their reels with a 4 degree upsweep to make the intersection point at 120 cm on these rods.

Fuji made their butt guide at guess what?; 120 cm. They also turned the butt guide around.

The Interline rods also have a funny lookig first(and only) guide. It has to make the line bend to enter the rod.

I've had some interesting experiences involving the little wire needed to thread the line through the rod. I don't dare repeating them because the boo birds and nay sayers jumped all over me. C2

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 02, 2008 11:15PM

I build sabiki rods for catching bait and they sort of work but the two problems are the entry point and the Fuji lowrider does help, and the second problem is that the tips are made of softer plastic and they groove out in no time.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 02, 2008 11:28PM

I have two Diawa interline surf rods, both 2-pc (9' and 11').

I use them both with AG5500-sized reels. The "stripper" guide works perfectly to funnel the line into the rod/

It's a little more trouble to run the "little wire" down the rod and drag the line through but I've found that, using proper drag settings, I haven't had a single instance where the line popped back into the rod. I did lose one of the threader wires, though, but was able to make a substitute using 60# leader wire. Cleaning them out consists of taking the plug out of the base of the upper section and running freshwater through it. My casting distance is about 2%-3% shorter and I think it's because of the bend the line has to make coming off the reel into the hole. I can improve that situation by using lighter line.

I do not use these for spinning setups. I don't think that's what they were intended for, although that's just my guess. The stripper guide/tunnel design actually significantly chokes the line coming off a spinning reel and substituting a larger stripper does no good in practical terms.

I like these rods a lot. They have landed a bunch of nice fish for me in the surf.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster