I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Guide on Conventional??
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 10:18AM

Assuming that there are no knots to pass and that the line is relatively light, is there any reason for a first guide larger than a 10, assuming that size guide will keep the line off your hand? I have gone largely to spiral wraps with micro guides and have started stepping down as rapidly as possible. Is there any advantage to a larger first with regards to casting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Guide on Conventional??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2008 10:20AM

The first guide on a casting rod is generally the level wind mechanism. So the line has already been brought down to a fairly small opening and is strongly controlled even prior to getting to the first guide. You're on the right track. As long as it fits the criteria you've mentioned, you're okay.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2008 11:10AM

I routinely use 8 and 6mm double ft guides and on some rods a 5mm single ft. for strippers.

I would suggest on flipping/pitching sticks you stay 8mm and above to make the line easier to grab with out grabbing the blank.

I also suggest you not use all micro guides on these types of rods either, but rather step down to the micro’s as there is a problem recently found with a conventional wrap and all micro’s, when you pull an excess of line out between the reel and stripper guide. But to my knowledge, it does not affect other rods.

Not doing conventional set ups, I’m waiting for some info from others working on this, the best way to prevent it, or the adjustments needed to prevent it.

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: July 02, 2008 05:20PM

Steve can you please elaborate a little more on your statement "I also suggest you not use all micro guides on these types of rods either, but rather step down to the micro’s as there is a problem recently found with a conventional wrap and all micro’s, when you pull an excess of line out between the reel and stripper guide. But to my knowledge, it does not affect other rods. "
I plan to build a spiral wrapped rod with micros and your comment has caused me to have concern
I plan to step down quickly and basically use only three different guide sizes, so by interpretation, I believe I will be ok, but just to be sure.
I want to know more about your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you

Date: July 02, 2008 09:49PM

Obed;

You will be fine. The only rods it has showed up on are flipping and pitching sticks, and as far as I know only on one builders rods.
I've not had this problem on any rod I've done, so I can't elaborate yet.

My reason for not posting is that I don't know whether it is a guide problem or design problem with the rods, and because they are not mine. I don't have all the facts, and don't want to say anything that could be misconstrued to mean something else.

Posted by: Obed Patty (164.144.248.---)
Date: July 03, 2008 03:19PM

Thank you Steve.
I'll make sure to extensively test my guide placements more than usual because I do intend this to be a pitching rod.
However, I only pull line when flipping not pitching.
Those kind of "heads ups" are valuable, especially to novices such as my self.
tThanks again.

Date: July 03, 2008 08:01PM

Obed;
"However, I only pull line when flipping not pitching"

Same here!
But occasionally I will flip a time or two in the middle of a pitching run while I've still got my pitching rod in my hand. That is the only reason I included pitching style rods in the post.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 05, 2008 11:03AM

Are you saying you NEVER combine vertical lure drop while pitching?

Date: July 05, 2008 11:31AM

Bill;
If your question is directed toward me?
My answer is yes, I combine vertical lure drop while pitching

But not by stripping out line with my hand between reel and stripper guide.
Always by just popping reel button and allowing lure to free fall towards water or into my other hand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster