I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

up-to-date message forum?
Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: June 30, 2008 12:34PM

is there any plan in the works to upgrade to a new forum? i am not a webmaster or internet guru, so i do not know much about the costs (if any) involved. i do know that there are many sites i frequent which feature vbulletin or similar message boards; many of these sites do not have any sponsors.

i'm sure this has been thought of and discussed, but i really think an up-to-date forum would eliminate repeat posts. for instance you wouldnt have 3 people within 2 weeks ask "the best method for spiral wrap," or "which finish works best." it would also provide an opportunity to separate "rodbuilding help" from "rodbuilding discussions;" maybe even provide a place for a general discussion.

hope i didn't stir the pot......that was not my intention

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: up-to-date message forum?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2008 12:55PM

I'm not sure what you're referring to. You will always have repeat posts, always. Because new people come on board every day. Most don't do a search of previous topics and simply put their question up, regardless of what information might have already been posted.

I have tried the format where a topic pops back to the top when responded to. That was a nightmare - we kept some topics on top for weeks on end long after they had been thoroughly responded to, and newer posts quickly got buried under them. This format works better for this forum and the large amount of rod building traffic it receives.

Although I have the ability to do it, I don't want to break things up into various categories - that really doesn't work well. It simply means that you have to go into each separate category to see what's going on there. I want to keep things all in one category. It has simply worked better for us that way and actually requires less of your time to see what's new.

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: June 30, 2008 01:33PM

At one time I'd wondered about bringing up the newest post to the top too. Many other boards do it, but after watching a while I like the way things are here. For the mega volume boards you probably need to advance each post because things will float to the second or third page within a couple of hours.

Some count the number of posts and give a rating such as smolt for less than one hundred up to a tuna for over a 1K or whatever. That encourages posts of "I agree" or "yeah" with a smiley. Regardless of the topic of the board, the best thing that folks should learn to do first is use the search function. There is so much free knowledge in the archives of this site and then coupled with a magazine subscription it's just unbelievable the education that you can get.

Again about searching, did you know that you can use Google and its advanced features to search this site? Type in your key word or phrase followed by site:www.rodbuilding.org. Looks like this "thinner site:www.rodbuilding.org" without the quotes. There's really nothing wrong with the built in search but wanted to include as an after thought.

Date: June 30, 2008 01:41PM

Mike,

I had no idea about the Google thing - thanks for sharing that.

Also, you can change the format of the board from the single topic view to a "tree" view by clicking on that option towards the top right of the forum box.

Posted by: Adam S. Hoelper (---.115.223.148.res-cmts.sth.ptd.net)
Date: June 30, 2008 02:46PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike,
>
> I had no idea about the Google thing - thanks for
> sharing that.
>
> ..................
>
> Also, you can change the format of the board from
> the single topic view to a "tree" view by clicking
> on that option towards the top right of the forum
> box.
>
>
> ..................

Should you go to a vbulletin format, it comes or is available with a feature that shows related topics based on a automatic posts prior to letting you post your message. You also have the added option of organizing where people post according to your opinion on what belongs where. I use SMF for my forum, its free, secure and easy to use. If you want more information on the SMF forums please feel free to email me.

Date: June 30, 2008 03:20PM

Thanks, but this one works well for us here and I think I'll stick with it. I add updates to it automatically as they become available.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2008 06:30PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: June 30, 2008 06:38PM

That's sort of how I feel. But I do appreciate the suggestions. I wasn't trying to shut anybody down, just explaining that what we have is working well enough and stays up and running nearly 99% of the time so making any sort of wholesale change is not something I want to do at the moment.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: June 30, 2008 06:46PM

After having gone through a similar change on a board for which I am on the steering committee, I would make one recommendation: DON'T.

There are a couple of reasons:
1. Simpler is better when it comes to forums
2. You will make a bunch of users mad that they have to learn something new
3. You will make a bunch of users mad that it runs slower that it did, especially if they are on dial-up
4. You will make a bunch of users mad because (insert any other reasons here).

It isn't worth it.

Walt

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: June 30, 2008 08:30PM

Yep! If it aint broke don't fix it and this works just fine as it is.

I have no problem with "new" things or changes but mucking
with a prooven system is just nuts.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 02:15AM

sorry guys didnt mean to stir the pot. you know us youngin's are technology freaks.

Date: July 01, 2008 09:28AM

No problem at all. I'm flattered that you cared enough about the forum to take the time to make the suggestion. I can't say that I'll never switch forum software, but for now probably not. Thanks.

Posted by: Adam S. Hoelper (---.115.223.148.res-cmts.sth.ptd.net)
Date: July 01, 2008 01:49PM

Definitely understandable and this format certainly is not a bad choice.

I find interesting the "if it isnt broke dont fix it" concept very disappointing from rod builders. That type of thing leads to stale creativity.

Posted by: Robert Moffat (---.253.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2008 05:00PM

I agree If it aint broke don't screw with it!! Besides I think that Tom K is overworked trying to do all he does for us. Asking him to undertake a sizeable project such as redoing the forum is, I believe, a little much. The publication, the Show in High Point, the forum, writing books, articles, taking pictures, and every thing else he does and does not get recognized for. He deserves a hardy THANK YOU TOM KIRKMAN!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster