I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

acetone as thinner
Posted by: james gregory (---.propel.com)
Date: June 28, 2008 09:39PM

i have seen where acetone can be used as a finish thinner.if so, will it not hurt the blank or thread.what is your take on this and what is a good thinner?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: acetone as thinner
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:03PM

IMO, there is no such thing as a good thinner for finish - just buy a lighter formula. That being said, here is a link to the Flexcoat information on doing what you asked ... [www.flexcoat.com].

BTW, do be aware that thinned finish can be aggressive toward labels and such. Cover them with CP first.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:06PM

What would be the purpose of thinning it?? Just apply it thinner or use a Lite finish. I know some do it but thinning it will affect the chemical properties of it and may cause long term problems.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:22PM

Generally it will not harm the blank nor the thread, but heed the cautions that these gentlemen have given you.

If you want to use it to clean brushes, go right ahead. But regular isopropyl alcohol will work nearly as well.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:37PM

There is a bunch of posts back on 24/6 on this subject. & plenty of threads before that.
different people have different perspectives on the use of thinners in finish coats.
in quick summary of your question:-
the biggest effect is on the strength of the epoxy when it has finally set.
definitely not recommended for final top coats, but many builders use it as a thin first coat over NCP or natural thread after CP.
5% acetone thins epoxy a lot & has a significant effect on epoxy strength............... a little thiner goes a long way & the aim is to minimise the amount used ..........if you are going to use it.
No noticeable effect on the blank
No noticeable effect on nylon or polyester thread & the CP is protecting the thread from the epoxy anyway.
in general terms.
If you are playing with Rayon thread stay away from acetone.
No experience with silk thread
What is a good thinner ???
Epoxy............... *****acetone *****
waterbased acrylic CP ( the milky ones )............ water..................but you should not need it.
clear acrylic hydrocaron solution CP ( the smelly ones ) ............. automotive spraypaint thinners.
If you are going to play with thinned finishes use it on a test piece of rod binding before you go anywhere near your rod. Proceed to the rod only when you are confident of the test result achieved.
Thinners can have an effect on anything they are capable of acting as a solvent on. But in small amounts in thinned mixes they evaporate off fairly quickly before they affect the material underneath ..........in general terms.
make sure the substrate & coating below your thinned finish coat has fully cured ( say 48 hrs minimum ) before using a thinned coat on top to minimise any compatibility issues or effect from a thinner.
Partly cured undercoats are far more susceptible to being affected by thinner in the next coat than fully cured coatings.
DenisB

Date: June 28, 2008 10:38PM

thanks for all your help.the only reason i ask the question was because i am slow when it comes putting on finish.i get about 3/4 the way through and it starts to thicken.even when i use lite coat.hot weather i guess.thanks again.
jim g.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:41PM

Jim,

You'd be better off just using two separate batches or work on speeding up your technique. What finish are you using? Some have a longer pot life than others.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 28, 2008 10:50PM

mike,am using FC.is in my opinion,a good finish.thanks.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:58PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Mike's statement about using two separate batches. I don't even try to do my label area with the same batch as the guides, even though I use a light formula finish. There are some things that are worth an extra dime or two and an extra minute or two - IMO, finish is definitely one of them ... especially considering that once the finish is applied, it is all over but the drying.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2008 12:22AM

James: Threadmaster Lite has a working time of about 1 hr where the regular finishes have a working time of about 30 minutes or less. Also keep in mind that TM Lite takes a lot longer to set up.The rotation time is 4 to 6 hrs and drying tack free is 6 to 8 hrs.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 29, 2008 12:57AM

Yep
totally agree on the use of multiple batches............. with batch sizes to suit the amount of work you need to do within the timeline of the potlife you are experiencing.
Not wise to try to use two different batches on the same guide coat etc .
ie
Some stiff -part cured epoxy - and some new mix on the same guide in the same coat.

Stop if you haven't enough mix to fully do a guide or you think the mix might get too stiff before you can finish the next guide when the batch starts to get difficult to handle & start with a new batch ( using another mixing board ) on the next guide. Multiple coats on a guide etc is perfectly OK and even desirable in some cases.............but allow each coat to cure before the next coat is added ontop.
Using thinners just to try to extend potlife is not a good idea at all.
DenisB

Posted by: Jimi-Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2008 08:32AM

Jim,

Acetone in any form can and and most times will destroy decals of anykind.

Jimi Ellis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2008 07:29PM by Jimi-Ellis.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2008 09:58AM

If you want a very thin coat use Permagloss. IMO it is an excellant undercoat that helps bring out the thread color and can be overcoated with most types of finish. My stard proceedure is CP, Permagloss, then finish.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 30, 2008 09:44AM

Acetone has it's place - for example, we use it to wipe down our rod lathe base and metal parts one weekly. But we learned the hard way not to use it as a brush cleaner. As a result, we've gone to denatured alcohol.

The only finish product we thin is 811, and there we add about 30% denatured alcohol. But the way to solve that is to get Andy's new CP.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster