I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole's Cork Filler = Elmer's Wood Filler?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 02:42AM

Ordered Mudhole's Cork Filler and what came is Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler in Golden Oak color? Packaging size and color looks basically the same as the pic in Mudhole except it's Wood Filler. Says, 'Paintable, Sandable'.

Is this right?

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2008 04:27PM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole's Cork Filler = Elmer's Wood Filler?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2008 08:15AM

You'd have to ask Mud Hole about that.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (204.116.125.---)
Date: June 28, 2008 08:39AM

I picked up some the other week to use on repairs when I needed to clean the grips up a bit. It works well and is maybe a hair darker than what the mfg's use when they fill in their stuff.

Posted by: John Blair (207.168.203.---)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:02AM

I bought some from Mud Hole and I really like it a lot......I think you might be right Mo, but it is so cheap and goes a long way that I go with my logic and support our sponsors. Saying that I wish someone on our left would carry flock material and advertiise on our site.......That's all I have to say about that.......

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Date: June 28, 2008 10:12AM

Bingham Enterprises still has some flocking supplies, I think.

Clemens Tackle used to carry "super tape" or something like that. It was a regular roll of masking tape. Why would they carry it when you can buy it at the hardware store? Well, many folks would just as soon get all their supplies in one fell swoop, from the same place. This is probably the same thing with regard to Mud Hole and the Elmer's stuff.

At any rate, if you don't want to buy it from Mud Hole, now you know what it is and can just pick up some at the hardware store next time it's needed.

Posted by: Dave Borkowski (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:18AM

Mo,

I've been using Elmer's Golden Oak Filler for years and have not had any problems/complaints. When I saw the ad on Mudhole for cork filler I thought to myself it look just like Elmer's Golden Oak Filler. Well, I think you have just confirmed that.

I agree with Big John support the sponsors.

<>Dave

Posted by: Dave Borkowski (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 10:18AM

Mo,

I've been using Elmer's Golden Oak Filler for years and have not had any problems/complaints. When I saw the ad on Mudhole for cork filler I thought to myself it look just like Elmer's Golden Oak Filler. Well, I think you have just confirmed that.

I agree with Big John support the sponsors.

<>Dave

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 11:37AM

Who cares what it is, all that matters is how it works.

Clemens had a TON of products you could pick up at a hardware store. Tehy also had a TON of products that nobody else had, which were very hard to find anywhere else - I still have a roll of their double stick tape which is the best I've used for Decrative Wraps. Getting close to teh end and have n oclue where to get more. So, it cost like $15, adn if I had a source for it I could have spent $5. Btu the fact that they had a product, which had been tested adn was "the best" - made teh additional money spent well worth it.

Think about this, if you went toteh HArdware store to invent whichproduct works best for cork filler - you might have to spend $50 and then see which one works, and which one holds up over time. In 3 seconds you clicked abutton and Mudhole sent it to you along with teh rest of your order, and right out thebox it works. WIN WIN,

Shoot, you can buy certain epoxy finish and CP at teh hardware store too.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 04:26PM

Thanks Guys.

No problem with ordering from Mudhole at all. Just wanted to know:
1. That I got the right stuff for filling cork. Thanks for confirming that I did.
2. That I made this order primarily just to get the cork filler but added a couple other items - no point in paying for shipping for a tiny order. When I have larger orders than onesies, I order from sponsors on this site exclusively.

Apologies if i sounded like I was complaining. Wasn't - just fired of a quick query for I figure you pros on this site will know. I've taken out my comment about going down to my local hardware store to pick it up.

Thanks to all.
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2008 04:28PM by Mo Yang.

Date: June 28, 2008 04:39PM

No problem whatsoever, Mo. It seems to be a good product and I hope it works well for you. I may pick some up myself - my supply of really good cork is nearly gone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster