I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide alignment on a casting rod
Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: June 27, 2008 01:43PM

I am building a casting rod as a birthday present for my brother. I am to the point of gluing on the handle and reel seat and I need to know how to align these with the spine. I was reading a book called Advanced Custom Rod Building by Clemens and it said to align the guides 90 degrees to the spine. This is if the caster casts side arm style. I am not sure what my brother's prefered casting style is but I am sure I have seen him cast this way before. I want to maximize the casting distance on this rod to make it as noticeably better than his store bought rods as possible. How should I align the reel seat and guides with the spine on this blank?

Thank you for any help,

Mike Nash

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide alignment on a casting rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2008 02:07PM

You do not need to align anything with the spine. For the most part, the spine thing was all a myth, and never proven to do what so many said it does. In fact, it has been proven not to prevent rod twist nor to enhance casting accuracy.

Beyond that, you can still align the guides with the spine if you so desire. It won't hurt anything. Your problem is that most fishermen, bass fishermen in particular, do not cast the same way each time. One cast may be overhead, one sidearm, one an underhanded flip.

I would suggest finding the straightest axis on the blank and positioning that so that the butt and tip are up, and the belly down (this will be the natural or concave curve to the blank). Mount everything accordingly and let you brother go fishing. He'll love it.

Date: June 27, 2008 02:13PM

So I should just mount the guides and handle so that the spine mark is on top and the natural curvature goes up at the tip? I need to mount the guides on the concave side of the blank?

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: June 27, 2008 02:50PM

i think tom is right about the "myth" thing. this is especially true if you use a spiral wrap. i just wish i would have known this before i spent 55 bucks on a spine finder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 02:51PM by Lance Lapeyrouse.

Date: June 27, 2008 03:29PM

Should I go ahead and do what I described in my above post?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2008 03:32PM

If you do, it will work just fine.

If you're worried about it, tape up everything and go out and cast it a bit. Satisfy yourself that it really doesn't (or does) make any difference.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 27, 2008 03:34PM

What do you mean by spine mark?? Just look at the blank and see if there is a natural curve or "bow" to it. If there is, just put the low point "belly" of the curve facing the ground, regardless of the type of rod, and place the guide on top for casting, bottom for spinning or in a spiral. It will work great!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 27, 2008 03:56PM

Cool Will do! Thanks for all of the advice. I can't go and cast it really cause I can't cast with a casting style of reel. They always birds nest on me. Hey Mike and all of the guys that helped me with my lathe questions, I just uploaded pictures of my wood grip in the gallery. It is titled "My first wood grip". Take a look!

Thanks again everyone for all of your help,

Mike

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 27, 2008 06:36PM

Very nice job on the grip!!! Hard to believe that you're new at this!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 27, 2008 07:29PM

I am only 17! I had no idea about the rod building world until I signed up for a class called "Advanced PE" last year in school. It was awesome we tied flies, built fly rods, went skeet shooting, and went on a couple fishing trips. This rod will be my second. I owe many thanks to Ron and Mike (never knew their last names) from Billings MT, who came to our school and helped our class learn how to do the various tasks in rod building. If any one knows who I am talking about please let me know. I know that Ron was an older gentleman who used to be a school teacher. I know that I will definately build many more rods in my future!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 27, 2008 09:24PM

Mike ; Coming from an old School Teacher , I am certainly impressed ! I think the Rod Building Industry needs more young men like yourself that have the natural talent to be able to work with your hands and do such nice work , especially at such a young age. Many Rod Builders today had to struggle for a long time just to get where you are now. Many Rod Builders never had the opportunities that you have today. Most had to build their equipment and tooling as they went along and learn on their own.
Always strive to make the next one better than the last one and you will be good at what you do. As Tom stated in a recent article in RM . A Rod Builder said," My rods are built to fish with. They work fine and I'm not worried about little details that don't make any difference in how they fish." That statement would have never been made by a true craftsman.
Welcome aboard , and always make the next one better !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: June 28, 2008 01:23AM

Thanks! I will always strive to do better. Another one of my hobbies is building and flying rc airplanes so I am definately interested in building and makeing things with my hands.

Thanks for all of the nice comments,

Mike

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 28, 2008 02:21AM

Mike Do a search I believe Stan Grace is from MT. and Randy Parpart (Putter) is from ND. Stan makes great grips and Putter is a wiz at marbiling.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster