I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Bass Rod
Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 11:22PM

This is pretty wide spread, as far as rods go ,but I am wanting input. I have used G.Loomis,St.Croix, Amtak, Graphite USA, and Lamiglas. My favorite, by far, is my Lamiglas XMG50. Lightest and most sensitive. I build my rods for bass tournaments, and have liked the St. Croix SCIII, and the Lamiglas, the later the most favorite, but would like input from fellow builders that have used others. I like the Lamiglas for the sensitivity and weight, plus the back bone and power without the sacrifice of more wieight or reduced sensitivity. Thank you for any input.

Joey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Bass Rod
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 25, 2008 11:33PM

Joey,

Take a good look at the CastaWays handled by Swampland (sponsors to the left).

Bill in WV

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 26, 2008 12:43AM

I agree with William. I have built several rods on the Castaway blanks and they are superb. Give Bill Stevens a call . He can put you in exactly what you want , technique specific.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2008 06:45AM

Joey;
If you are tough on your equipment? I would also suggest giving Bill a call. Those blanks have been designed for the abusive angler.

But if you are looking for a truly sensitive, light, responsive blanks that will hold up as well as anything you've mentioned.
My bets on the Batson RX8+ line of blanks.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 06:46AM

Rogue would be and excellent addition to your list.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 07:59AM

Joey the title of your post - "Best Bass Rod" - probably cannot be answered. All of the blanks listed above fill a specific "nitch" with blanks that satisfy bass fishermen with the miriad of technique specific blanks. When you consider the vast number of lengths and actions required then throw in the variables of sensitivity, balance, weight, durability and cost you will soon realize just how good of a job many many companies have done in an attempt to satisfy all with a cost effective answer. The biggest job that most builders face is to find a way to communicate effectively with a bass fisherman to make the the proper selection without the marketing influence of some of the commercial bass rods. It is one thing for a bass fisherman to walk in a Bass Pro to find that "one best bass rod for under $49.95" but an entirely different situation for the same fisherman to work with a custom builder to find that one "special" rod for use with finesse worms in heavy cover.

Please take the time to review the benefits of the task specific line of multi modulus Castaway XP3 blanks at [www.swamplandtackle.com]. If you have any questions use the Contact Us button for a personal contact.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 07:28PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 26, 2008 10:40AM

The title itself opens up a can of worms. Bass anglers can't even agree that a SKEETER is the best bass boat out there, so how would they agree on a rod?

It really comes back to what's been posted. What is important to you? Durability? Weight?

I've got a CastAway from Bill - awesome rod. It can take a beating, is a little heavier, is pretty darn sensitive and I am very happy with it and wouldn't think twice about recommending it along with the CastAway reel seat.
I've got SCIVs - Lighter, sensitive, but a larger investment; still takes a pretty good beating as far as I am concerned (I had one meet my trolling motor last weekend and the rod won... well... survived)
I've got SCIII - great value, have yet to have an unhappy customer who got one of these and I use several myself
Built Lamis for customers and have a Lami for my crankbait rod - love it!
I've casted Steve's rods on the RX8+ - I would recommend them as well.

I want to try the Rogues. I need to bug Bobby on what a good Rogue model for a carolina rig... Ought to be a good way to test one out.

Sorry I'm not a lot of help - but there are a lot of really good blanks out there and it all depends on what you are looking for and how you are going to use it.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2008 11:37AM

This REALLY sums it all up in a nutshell.

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... it all depends
> on what you are looking for and how you are going
> to use it.

I have a collection of Lamiglas, St Croix and G Loomis. There are NO equals to many of the specific blanks, others are generic in nature and easily matched. Choosing a blank isn't as easy as it looks - it takes time, money and dedication to really understand what advantages, and disadvantages, lay in various offerings.

The real kicker is that once you get past the issue of blank selection - there are at least a couple dozen other ways to make or break that particular choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2008 11:37AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2008 01:52PM

They may be marketed as bass blanks but I've converted three Pro Redfish teams to RX8+'s and there has been no looking back. Unbelievably light and sensitive with plenty of control for bigger fish. I literally just caught a 7+ lb Red on a RX8+822.5 throwing a 1/16oz PowerLoc and a soft jerk bait an hour ago. My go to tournament rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2008 01:18AM by Mike Pedersen.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 02:24PM

You may want to call Todd Vivian at Mud Hole Todd is vary familiar with the fo mention blanks.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.210.---)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:10PM

One thing I know we'll all agree on is that the best bass rods are the ones with a 7 or 8 lber. on the other end! Santee Style!

A man's gotta believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:39PM

I'll 2nd the Lamiglas XMG 50 for sensitivity and weight but enjoy using my Rainshadow rods also. Fished 2 day club Tournament at the California Delta, with a Rainshadow 905 flipp'n rod I built to take 2nd. Steve

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:41PM

I'll 2nd the Lamiglas XMG 50 for sensitivity and weight but enjoy using my Rainshadow rods also. Fished 2 day club Tournament at the California Delta, with a Rainshadow 905 flipp'n rod I built to take 2nd The guy who took 1st used a 905 I built him.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 07:13PM

RX8+ Model # Length Power Action Line Wt Lure Wt Blank Wt. Color Application
RX8+S822.5 6'10" Medium X-Fast 6-12 1/8-1/2oz 1.76oz. Satin Black Drop Shot
RX8+S823 6'10" Medium X-Fast 8-14 3/16-5/8oz. 1.74 Satin Black Topwater / Finesse Spin
RX8+C742 6'2" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.36oz. Satin Black Jerk Bait / Close Quarter's Spinner Bait
RX8+C812 6'9" Medium Fast 8-14 1/4-5/8oz. 1.85oz. Satin Black Senko Special
RX8+C783 6'6" Medium Hvy Fast 10-17 1/4-3/4oz 2.13oz. Satin Black Worm / Jig
RX8+C843 7'0" Medium Hvy Fast 10-17 1/4-3/4oz 2.46oz. Satin Black Carolina Rig
RX8+C865 7'2" Hvy Fast 12-25 3/8-1 1/4oz 2.52oz. Satin Black Jig / Slop / Frog

Date: June 26, 2008 07:49PM

Chris Davis

I personally love your comment but -

Please take a look at this link and see if you think Scroggins would agree with your 8# level of satisfaction -

When the photo link opens click on it to enlarge and read -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

It sure would be a blast if ALL of us could show up on those three lakes near the border and field test them all!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 09:59PM

Steve B were you fishing the Sacromento River Delta?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Joey Yeager (---.twinvalley.oct.net)
Date: June 27, 2008 07:21AM

I am new to this website. It is amazing how quick someone can get answers and input here. Thank you to everyone that posted, every bit of info was really helpful. Checked out Swampland, and I really like the stats on the Castaway rods, and the price is amazing. My next build is going to be with one. Oh, and Alex, you think Skeeters are good, you should try a Ranger. Best bass boat out there:)

Date: June 27, 2008 09:35AM

Custom builders absolutely love Ranger Boats - their rod boxes rip off more guides than any other boat on the market! And to really pile on to Alexs' favorite - Skeeter will not release their logo to a custom builder to add to a rod for a registered boat owner. Alex maybe your can file a request with the Kilgore Elite to see if you can sway them - my attempt fell on deaf ears!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2008 11:30AM

Chris Davis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing I know we'll all agree on is that the
> best bass rods are the ones with a 7 or 8 lber. on
> the other end! Santee Style!

Amen Chris ........Amen ........
Although an 8# on the rod you showed me would definitely be sweet .........

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: June 27, 2008 03:49PM

Check out CTS elite series blanks, I think you will be VERY surprised....... The guy's at Fishsticks4u can help you out. If price is a factor then Lamiglas XMG50 for sure, but they have some funny line/lure weight ratings on the XMG50 models.

-Mike

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster