I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparison of graphite
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 25, 2008 12:03AM

I had asked about RX^ and RX7 a few posts below, but wanted a better comparison including other manufacturers.

I hope someone here can give me a bit of help choosing a blank. I have been looking to do up another RLF (red line finesse) light spin for my exploits. Previously an SJ6400 GL2, extended to 6'4" served my purposes well, but the tip was a little fine for slightly heavier offerings. Looking for a blank with just a slightly stiffer tip. Also looking to upgrade a little for slightly lighter weight and better sensitivity.

So far considering the Loomis GL3 SJ700, AmTak Black Matrix SJ781, Batson RX6 SB780, Baston RX7 ISB780, RX6 SJ781, RX7 ISJ781. For approximately the same tapers and actions (spin bass are slightly less fast than spin jigs), how do these grades of graphite stack up against each other in terms of weight, sensitivity, and durability?

Appreciate any help here. Have the chance to get the Batsons and the Matrix in hand soon, but not quite sure about the Loomis (would have to order/buy the blank before I can play with it, and none of the retailers here have a factory model in stock).

Thanks,
Ted

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparison of graphite
Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.156.---)
Date: June 25, 2008 04:21AM

I’m planing to do an SP843F and an ISJ781 as we get a bit closer to summer. I’m guessing the Batson SP 843 is pretty similar to a Loomis S842 ? but as Ted say’s I’d really like to know where the Am Tak blanks fit into the equation.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 08:15AM

When you link your desires for a "light spin blank" with "stiffer tip" with "heavier offerings" there are many choices. To achieve those ends and include one more, action, a multi modulus blank may be your best choice. A multi modulus blank utilizes higher modulus materials in the butt section for lower overall weight, lower modulus fibers in the tip section to achieve the desired while providing a high level of durability . If you will also include the action desired, which will define the specific use technique, a Castaway X3 could be included in your list for consideration.

Please take a look at the listing of Castaway XP3 availlable. For a specific blank recommendation for technique match up please use the Contact Us botton at the [www.swamplandtackle.com] web site.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 10:18AM

Ted,
I'm not an engineer and able to explain all the intricacies of blank design. However, graphite does come in several levels of stiffness. Some are made from 33 million modulus, others in 43-45 million modulus, or 57 million modulus. These different levels of stiffness are just for the graphite fibers. When the rod blank is made, resins are added to bind the fibers together, and fiberglass fibers may be used at right angles to give the blank greater hoop strength. As a result the rod blank itslef is goint to be much less stiff than the fibers from which it was made. By the time we add guides, threads, finish and butt hardware, the finished rod is going to be even less stiff.

Before graphite became the standard material for building blanks fiberglass was used which has a much lower modulus than graphite. Yet there were fast action rods made--Fenwick was one such manufacturer. You need to focus more on action than modulus. Give Bill Stvens a call, he can provide you with information for the kind of blank that would meet your needs. Bob Kamey at Custom tackle could also help you. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 02:39PM

You might also email or call Todd Vivian at Mud Hole Tackle. Todd was instrumental in the designing of many Lamiglas rods for over 20 years. He knows graphite from the inside out. Someone chime in, there is a site out there that shows how rods are made this may help Ted.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 25, 2008 03:24PM

Thank you for the help guys.

Was just looking for comparisons between the afore-mentioned blanks and blank materials. I mostly throw finesse size plastics on 1/16 to 1/8 jigheads, occasionally up to 1/4 oz in heavier current. Also up to 1/4 oz light jigging metals ("iron") in deeper water/strong current, and crankbaits, jerkbaits and topwaters. So, until I can afford to expand my arsenal, and afford to carry more than one rod on trips, I am looking for a rod blank that can do most of that. The spin jig taper fits my requiremements. In Loomis power rating, 00 extended worked quite well, but a little soft in the tip for casting the jerkbaits and topwater. I feel 0 power would be the ticket. The spin bass taper from Batson also fits the bill in 0 power, giving a slightly more through action than the spin jig. In both cases the rods are still fast actioned rods.

I mostly fish 6 lb or 8 lb braided line on a Shimano 1000 spinning reel. Doing it the nuts/hard way, just the way I like it!

So I have narrowed it down to the AmTak Black Matrix SJ720, the Batson RX6/RX7 SB780 and ISB780, and the G. Loomis GL3 SJ700. I would be extending the AmTak and the Loomis to get the length I am looking for (around 6'6"). I will take a look at the Castaway, but I don't think any of the models matches my requirements. Light power spin jig, fast action, light weight, durable and sensitive. Trying to keep cost below $100. The blanks I mentioned before are available at a good price from a distributor here in Australia, so I don't have to go with higher shipping costs.

Any further info and experience with these blanks would be highly appreciated again.
Thanks,

Ted..

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 06:40AM

Hey Ted - I have built on a lot of the black Matrix blanks. I think you would like the SJ781 if you like a lighter rod in the 6'6" length. I know it is listed as a 1 power, but it is really over rated at that, and is actually almost identical to the SJ720 in action, and would save you having to lengthen the blank. I really think you would like that blank, and it's really pretty too. If I were to rate the SJ781 Matrix I would say it is no doubt a 4-8# line rod, not 6-10# as listed.

Have fun - Marc

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 26, 2008 08:08AM

RLF aye ted

love it :P

personally have had no experience with any of those blanks, but i cant wait to see the fish you get on it :P

Date: June 26, 2008 09:00AM

Sure thing. I have a chance to get my grubby hands on the blanks tomorrow lunchtime. Hopefully I can make a decision.
Thank you Marc. Not having to extend would save a bit of work for sure, but I don't mind. Could go with whatever takes my fancy, maybe even a bit of thick walled aluminium tubing, then an open cross wrap over that. Hot!

I miss having my spin gear ready to go. That said, throwing to tarpon on 5 wt fly is FUN!!! Considering putting Titanium ceramics on the little fly rod, but then I'd have to take off the beautiful Pac Bay holographic stripper guides. Also going to re-do the reel seat: took a hot knife, file and sandpaper to a Fuji DPSM16 and windowed the barrel, and I quite like what I came up with. Just a bit more to do, and do a cork insert/arbor for it, and fit to the end. The tiger wrap I wanted on the original seat insert just gave me too much @#$%& to sit right on the cork.

Date: June 27, 2008 10:56PM

Well, had a great little chat with a supplier yesterday, got my hands on some blanks, and had a good little play around. The blank meeting my needs wasn't even among the ones I was considering. Who'd have thought that extending a short, mag tapered X-fast spinjig effectively gives you a POPPING rod!!

Batson RX7 IP781. Matte Clear finish, beautiful action and nice light tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster