I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Tape
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 10:25PM

I'm guessing that when using cork tape on a surf rod you rely only on the adhesive backing on the tape to hold it to the rod and that you don't add any extra stuff like a two-part epoxy? Call me stupid but this is the first time I've really messed with this cork tape.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Tape
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 24, 2008 10:30PM

The adhesive backing holds it to the blank, but you finish over the ends with thread and epoxy, tape, or shrink tubing to ensure the ends do not peel away.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 10:41PM

If you do add adhesive it will be hard to replace the tape when it gets roughed up. you can add a butt cap to hold it down or do a thread wrap.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 08:41AM

I have had cork tape on my rods for 5-7 years using only back adhesive and a butt cap / thread wrap ramp, still works fine. Still has that grippy feeling

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 10:57AM

I hate cork tape, but not because it adheres to the blank poorly. Just make sure the blank is clean, and you'll be fine. You don't need anything other than the sticky stuff on the back of the tape.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 02:53PM

Chris by clean would you also scuff the area where the cork is going to be placed with a Scotch Brite gray pad and do a water test? Just a thought .I have never used tape before. To me it should be done to make sure all oils are removed and the tape is adhering directly to the blank.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 03:23PM

Bob, I've never bothered to do anything other than wipe the blank with denatured alcohol. I do this to make sure there isn't any dust or other stuff to interfere with bonding; once it's clean and dry, I let 'er rip. Once wrapped, I roll the outside of the grip on a flat surface like a kitchen table or my brother-in-law's head, and this seals the bond, and makes cork tape stick to the blank very, very well. I've found no need for scuffing or anything like that.

I dislike cork tape not because I think it stinks, but because I think there's something else -- nylon twine -- that works way, way, better. But cork tape, despite what I say, is actually not a bad material.

Date: June 25, 2008 05:11PM

Chrise other than using your brother in laws head for a roller you might try using your wives dough roller or a cheese cutter ( the type that has the wire and roller, cut the wire off). I use the cheese type on my weave or thread art. Don't let your wife know you tool her cheese cutter or dough roller LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 09:12PM

I use a Wall paper seam roller, works well

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: June 25, 2008 09:27PM

I saw a post where someone was suggesting to wet the blank with alcohol so that the tape could easily be manipulated into position. Any comments?? E....

Date: June 25, 2008 11:07PM

I would think what ever is used to make the tape sticky would be compromised by using alcahol. I use alcahol to remove sticky gum
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 07:57AM

Good morning,

I use the 1/16" HD cork tape for grips.

The thinner diameter lays better on the blank when installing. I will double wrap to make a 1/8" grip. The second layer is offset 50% so I do not have seams on top of each other. You can also start the tape at the opposite end.

When using double layers I install a layer of contact cement on top of the first layer of tape. This guarantees that the 2nd layer will not come loose.

I do seal each end under the reel seat and butt cap or wrap the ends.

Many surf rod customers do not want a reel seat so I offer to place shrink tubing over the cork tape in the area where the reel seat will go. Then they can clamp or tape away to their hearts delight when installing the reel.

Shrink tubing is so much easier to replace than the cork tape and much less expensive.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster