I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe question
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 11:57AM

Ok, I'm about to order my lathe. Going to do the Turncrafter Pro from PSI. Amazon.com has it at a discount and free shipping.

All I'm going to be doing is turning cork and foam. Is there really a need to pay $60 more to step up to the variable speed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe question
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 12:31PM

YES ... buy a variable speed lathe, you will appreciate the investment.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 12:35PM

Alex,

I got the TurnCrafter Pro when I bought one 2 years ago. Do yourself a favor, get the variable speed and the base extension while you're getting it. I wish I had, now I've got to spend another $100 to get the conversion kit.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 02:11PM

Alex,

I'm NOT trying to change your mind.....but the Rikon I have does not need the bed extension because it's longer already...and it comes with variable speeds that is REAL easy to adjust. Just a thought.......compare the costs and features and see what you get. The Rikon has some GREAT little bells and whistles that make things nice and easy. I'm sure the turncrafter pro is a great little machine as well.

DR

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 04:25PM

Alex,
I bought the PSI Turncrafter Pro. I decided on the bed extension as well--a great decision. The bed extension gives me a nominal 40 inches between head and tail stock. I also bought the variable speed model. I knew going in that I was going to make wood grips and wanted the extra distance between head and tail stock. I also felt I would find the variable speed useful. The way mine works is there are three sets of pulleys with varying gear ratios. With each pulley gear ratio I can alter the speed with a simple turn of the variable speed control knob.

If you could be sure that you will never make wood grips, reel seat inserts or longer grips, then you could go ahead and not get the VS capability or the bed extension. However, none of know what we will be led to use our lathe for as we become proficient. A rod builder in my area is now making bowls and mechanical pencils on his lathe. Good luck to you.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 05:02PM

Alex,
I bought the Jet with bed extension and have been very happy with it. I did not get the variable speed, I have only changed my speed once and then only because of my chuck speed rating.
Definitely been very glad I did. So far I have only done handles and turned down swelled buts. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2008 05:32PM

There is a lot to recommend the Rikon at this moment in time. But if the price on the Turncrafter Pro is extremely attractive, and the addition of a bed extension won't put you past that of the Rikon, then move ahead.

Variable speed is the worth the lousy $60. Seriously, get it and don't look back. You don't absolutely need it, as others here have noted, but you'll enjoy it down the road.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 05:38PM

Alex,

I have a Turncrafter pro and love it! I would definately go for the Variable speed AND the bed extension. MO ONE can just turn cork and foam LOL!!. I want to hear you say that 6 months from now! Lathes are almost as addictive as rod building.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Lueck (---.89.167.154.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 06:30PM

I bought one of the brands mentioned above. Do yourself a favor and get the VS now. You will want it later, when you DO decide that you want to try a little woodturning(and you will).

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 07:47PM

You make turning sound as addictive as rod building... thanks for the input!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2008 10:02PM

Alex,

It is!!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 24, 2008 11:19PM

Oh it is absolutely addictive
It becomes an adjunct to your expression of skills and artistry in guide wraps & butt wraps & moves it into grip artistry and inserts for reelseats................... even parting-off reelseats where skeleton seats are not commercially available in a size you want to use .

DenisB

Posted by: Ed Kindervater (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: June 25, 2008 09:11PM

I tried several different lathes and settled on the Rikon. I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a lathe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster