I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hastings B70LXF
Posted by: harry olatkiewicz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 23, 2008 03:25AM

Hello all, i'm looking at building a new spinning rod and thought this blank suits my requirements pretty well. I live in Australia and do a fair bit of bream fishing, which often requires the use of very subtle presentations, casting lightly weighted plastics hard up against structure with precise accuracy.

I'm just after some opinions, does anyone have anything good or bad about this blank? Is there a better blank more suited to my type of fishing either in the hastings line up or another company?

Thanks
Harry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hastings B70LXF
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 23, 2008 03:37AM

Gday fellow aussie

i was in the same situation 2 months ago

looking at a new bream rod mainly, but will use it for small squire and bass aswell.

i looked at that blank and was recomended to go the way of a pioneer PUR70UL instead

glad i did

awesome blank

Date: June 23, 2008 03:44AM

Hey Tom, what made you go for the PUR70UL? Is that a lower modulus blank? Had you had a feel of the B70LXF? Is it more suited to your type of fishing, if so why? Also where did you get that blank from?

If you can answer any of these questions that would be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks
Harry

Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 23, 2008 04:23AM

i had not felt any of the blanks previous to making my decision. but from talking to builders over here i was recomended the pioneer.

yes i am under the impression its a lower modulus.

i got mine from mudhole.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: June 23, 2008 08:22AM

Harry, I think that blank you are looking for is another one Peter designed specifically for Australia fishing. I have not seen it, nor do I know anythign about Bream fishing.

The diffrence between the Pioneer and GUSA DHX is the GUSA has a Dual Helical design, whereas the Pioneer is built like a traditional graphite blank..non-helical. What is the helix? IT's basically a diamond wrap of graphite up and down teh andrel prior to the rest of the graphite being rolled onto the mandrel. Another difference is that the GUSA is multi-modulus design (which uses different modulus material to construct teh blank), the Pioneer is just one type of graphite.

What does that mean for fishing - I have built & fished several lighter FW blanks in Pioneer and DHX, and there is a noticeable difference. TEh DHX blanks have more action in teh tip, and tehy have a different bend with a fish on. The Pioneers are nice, but they are a little soft and they have a different feel when fighting a fish.

Date: June 23, 2008 08:49AM

Yeah i know about the Dual helical design Billy. That blanks is actually taken of mudhole, so its an American blank. However I think Peter imports the same or a very similar blank.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 23, 2008 09:08AM

I think the blank Peter imports is specially made by GUSA/Hastings. They are slightly different to the US models, generally a little faster in the taper.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: June 23, 2008 09:10AM

Sorry about that, I see it is listed on the graphiteusa.com website and is a standard blank, not a special order. Too many letters to remember offhand, lol.

That blank is only multi-modulus, not Dual Helix. I assumed it was a DHX, my bad.

Posted by: Jan Mikula (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 23, 2008 08:12PM

G'day Harry,

I have built a dozen or more PUR70UL (in the one and two pce) mainly for blokes using soft plastics on bream as they prefer the softer action of the rod as they like the subtle give in the rod when setting the hook as they find they don't pull hooks as often with this rod. I've got a couple for myself as I use them with this new popper craze for whiting and bream as I can work the top water lures a lot better (for me anyway) than an extra fast rod. I've done a few of the other Dual helix rods such as the AS70L and the 70LXF mainly for blokes throwing chubbies, SX40's and now the blade lures. It comes down to what you want the rod to do for you. Give Peter a call as he is only willing to help you and will lead you in the right direction.

Cheers, Jan.

Date: June 24, 2008 10:54PM

Billy the B70LXF is marketed as a dual helix blank on mudhole.

Jan the last thing i really require is soft rod. For hard-bodies over the flats that more forgiving action is often advantageous, point taken. However the action i prefer is a little bit stiffer with a fast to extra fast-taper for fishing light lines and small plastics.

Posted by: Jan Mikula (58.168.94.---)
Date: June 25, 2008 04:16AM

G'day Haryy,

The most probable blank would be the AS70L (it comes in a gloss and non gloss option) and has the action you require.

Cheers, Jan.

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:57AM

alt. go straight for the PUR 700-L its very similar to the 70LXF, bit has a slight more pull in the tip..very hard to tell them apart...

i mainly use the 70UL and the 700-L for the majority of my bream lineup...hard to find 2 better blanks for breamming anywhere

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster