I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX6 vs. RX7
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 22, 2008 08:31PM

Hi guys. Looking at the Batson RX6 and RX7 blanks, in a lot of the range, the only difference is quoted graphite modulus, price and slight variance in weight.

Looking at the light spin models, the spin bass and the spin jig range. With blank weights coming in about the same, and pretty much the same power ratings and actions, how much of a performance gain is there between the two?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX6 vs. RX7
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 22, 2008 09:16PM

a new flats rod on the way ted? to match to that new Biomaster your going to order after i tell you how good mine are :P

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: June 22, 2008 09:48PM

Ted,
Since we fish different creatures it's harder to relate but I'll try. The difference is minor in some and more pronounced in others in the blank lines you mentioned as the tips and power vary a bit, and frankly some times I like the RX6 better, but it depends on the blank.
The best analogy I can think of since I fish a lot of steelhead (searun rainbow trout) with longer rods of the same power ratings as the spinning blanks of the Rainshadow line. We drift a bait on a long leader with a weight that is just heavy enough to tick the tops of the rocks in the current of streams that are running at or a bit faster than your walking speed. Using the same power blanks from all the Rainshadow lines RX6, RX7, and RX8+. Let's say the RX6 telegraphed 3 bottom/rock ticks where you felt bottom through the hole, the RX7 would probably be a 5 tick blank through the same spot, and the RX8+ would be a 8 to 10 tick blank. With the RX8+ you'd also notice quite a bit more interaction between your offering and the current changes you passed through making your pass through the hole.

Date: June 23, 2008 09:47AM

Sensitivity then? Thank you for your views Spencer.

Tom, I broke the tip of my 4 pce All Star landing an 83 cm barra for my mate Owen, on 5 wt fly tackle. In the fuss in the dark, on slippery rocks, the rod slid down from where I put it, and I stepped on it. So a new RLF blank is needed. Yeah, will be used for crazy light line action wherever the fish take me. Also considering the Loomis GL3 SJ700, extended. However, the Rainshadows and Forecasts are too good a bang for the buck to pass up, and I think I have the opportunity to get a hold of the Batson blanks at a very good price. I was that impressed with the SB720-4 I owned a couple years ago. I wanted to check out the ISB/SB 780, and the ISJ/SJ781.

While a sensitive rod is a plus, it's not a major factor for most of the fish I get into up (over, down under) here. Just thought I'd ask about the Batsons, as I'd prefer to have my personal rods from the same manufacturer, just like you wanted. Rod will get a Bio C2000, yes. The Luvias costs too much dough.

The spin jigs from Loomis have the light tips to throw light lures easily, while still having enough power to work on a good fish. My extended GL2 SJ6400 was sweet to fish with.
Any comparisons of RX6 and RX7 to GL2 and GL3?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 11:30AM

Ted,
Graphite to graphite they are identical just as you listed them. GL2-RX6 33 mil, GL3-RX7 IM6 material. That said it's what you do with the material that makes the difference. For instance from your listings I wouldn't in my rods be without a Loomis GL3 SJ 700, no one builds anything like it, and it would be one blank I wouldn't care now much it cost, I'd own one. I Haven't extended mine yet, an older IM6 version, but someday I may just to see what becomes of it when I do.
One last note, whenever I made purchases where modulus was used as my main criteria I got bit in the posterior, there is so such more to rodbuilding than that to get the best results. For that reason I'd start my building on blanks you can put your hands on, or buy from a shop that carries enough of a manufacturer line that when you say you need a blank that is a bit this way or that way, from a blank you like, they have the resources on compare blank lines and help you select what you need.

Date: June 25, 2008 03:48PM

See my later post "Graphite Comparison".

Thanks Spencer. Not governed by modulus, looking for feedback on performance, light weight and durability, between the Black matrix, the RX6 and RX7, and GL3 blanks. Have the option of one of these at a very good price, need to choose. Mostly fish guerilla tactics, bush bashing, scrambling along rock walls, hanging over bridge railings flicking underneath.

Thanks for the recommendation of the GL3 Loomis. Extending those light spin jigs transforms it from capable light spin blank to wolf in sheep's clothing! The extended 6400 landed many barramundi in the 70 cm class, extracted 2 in the 80 cm class from bridge pylons before the leader wore through, and landed a 10 lb golden trevally. Plenty of power down low, light tip that could handle from 1/16 oz jighead and a 2" grub to 1/4 oz jerkbait or 3/8 oz light jigging metal quite easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2008 03:49PM by Ted Morgan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster