I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread discolouration
Posted by: Greg Hutchinson (---.a.007.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: June 22, 2008 01:32AM

I have just put epoxy (FlexCoat Hi Build) on some wraps (Gudebrod Nylon #521 Dk Green) and within minutes noticed random dark striations running thru the wraps with some dark blotching where the
thread ends have been pulled under. I had used Gudebrod#811 CP on the wraps. Although I am a casual rod buider of over 30 yrs experience I have never seen this before.
This is the first time I have used FlexCoat (usually used a local Australian(?) product "Jack Erskines" or Classic Rod Coat). Have I neglected some aspect of its use.
Has anyone experienced this with any other combination of thread/ CP/ epoxy? The end result looks pretty crap and will have to come off so I am keen to avoid this happening again.
With thanks,
Greg H.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread discolouration
Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 22, 2008 05:39AM

Sounds like the problem is in the CP coat & the epoxy has 'wicked' into the fibers of the threads.
The CP needs a pretty good mix and then any bubbles allowed to settle out for a couple of minutes before application.
Otherwise you can get the sort of streaks you have indicated, after epoxy is applied.

DenisB

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: June 22, 2008 08:40AM

Greg........Are you using the "new" milky or smelly Gudebrod 811 ? they are the worlds worse in my estimation, like just using water on the wraps.
If it was the old clear , low odor 811 then on #521 Gudebrod green I always use two coats of CP

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 23, 2008 04:36AM

Did you pack your threads tight before adding CP?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 23, 2008 08:40AM

I think you are right Denis that the epoxy has 'wicked' into the fibres of the threads but I was using the 'old' clear GudebrodCP which I presume does not need mixing before application(?).
I had used 2 coats as you suggested Fred and I think I usually pack pretty tight Bob, so I am at a loss. I did neglect to mention I was using A thread but I guess you all assumed this and I don't see how that could be the cause.
Guess I will just do it again , pack tight, double-coat and see what happens.
Thanks again,
Greg H

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 23, 2008 10:10AM

Try looking at the wrap under magnification

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 24, 2008 06:49AM

Just repeating the exercise same technique as last time is fraught with the risk of a repeat of the first outcome.
suggest you do just one test guide binding on a piece of scrap blank if you have one..............while you are cleaning up your rod for another go.
Just to make sure you are on top of the problem.
One thing you can try is thinning the first CP coat then a full strength CP coat before the epoxy on the test piece.
If you are real keen you can do a second test guide next to the first using your original technique & see how a repeat comes out.
thinning the first coat of CP usually allows it to soak into the fibres of the thread better.
I still use acrylic auto clear 50:50 with thinners as a CP very successfully with 2 coats( not sure- but I think that might be the same type of material as the old Gudebrod CP before they brought out the milky water based CP ???? ).
The big complaint with the acrylic auto type clear was it tended to crack at the ends of the guide feet under heavy rod deflections, mostly where the user heavily coated the threads to a pretty smooth finish before top coating............... thinned coats of CP are sealing the fibres in the thread rather than filling the gaps between the roundish threads & cracking is a pretty rare occurrence with that technique............. the epoxy 'wicks' all the way onto the blank but not into the thread fibres with that technique & a smooth finish can be achieved in one coat, 2 at the most.

Yes, I know its old technology stuff but I find color rendition and depth of lustre beyond reproach.
I am no fan of the waterbased acrylics as a CP as fibre penetration is marginal and it tends to act as more of a surface seal & dulled the colour lustre a bit.
Having said that I am trying yet another waterbased CP as my bottle of Andy's Chroma Seal turned up from Mudhole today after its trip across the pacific.
Regards
DenisB

Date: June 25, 2008 08:58AM

I've stripped the blank and it seems like the epoxy had wicked into the thread. Strange that it has never happened before on quite a few dozen rods.
I will do a trial with thinned CP as you suggest Denis.
Thanks guys great advice as always.
Cheers, Greg H

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 25, 2008 05:38PM

I would check with your CP maker befor thining. Get their ad visce on you problem and what they thing about thinning. Just my 2 cents
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster