I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fridays Follies all over again
Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: June 20, 2008 06:51AM

I just tried my first flag wrapping. it came out looking very cool. I was so involved I did not realize that i do not knbow how to count! I have 15 stripes in Old Glory in stead of 13 for the original colonies

I think it may be easier to ad 2 more colonies than to rewrap >LOL. Good thing it was just a practice wrap!!!

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fridays Follies all over again
Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: June 20, 2008 12:55PM

Too Funny. I had to cut a rose wrap off last night. I had done one for my sister. My girlfriend liked it so much that I decided to do one for her b-day. She doesn't fish, so I did it on a walking stick. I was tying it off when I realized that when I had layed it out, I was thinking fishing rod...not walking stick. The roses were all upsidedown!

OK...not that funny, but I do feel your pain!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2008 01:14PM by Bill Lane.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2008 04:17PM

Wow, I saw Friday Follies and just assumed it was Mike Joyce, LOL. Just tell anyone who asks that it was a prototype flag that Betsy Ross had created, but instead opted to use the unlucky prime number 13.

Tony

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 20, 2008 05:39PM

Bill, I was thinking about my third grade history and the story about adding stripes for the first few colonies added. Your 15 stripes was correct if you were trying to honor Kentucky our 15th state. I found this on Wikipedia:

In 1795, the number of stars and stripes was increased from 13 to 15 (to reflect the entry of Vermont and Kentucky as states of the union). For a time the flag was not changed when subsequent states were admitted, probably because it was thought that this would cause too much clutter. It was the 15-star, 15-stripe flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write "The Star-Spangled Banner," now the national anthem.

On April 4, 1818, a plan was passed by Congress at the suggestion of U.S. Naval Captain Samuel C. Reid[25] in which the flag was changed to have 20 stars, with a new star to be added when each new state was admitted, but the number of stripes would remain at thirteen to honor the original colonies. The act specified that new flag designs should become official on the first July 4 (Independence Day) following admission of one or more new states. The most recent change, from 49 stars to 50, occurred in 1960 when the present design was chosen, after Hawaii gained statehood in August 1959. Before that, the admission of Alaska in January 1959 prompted the debut of a short-lived 49-star flag.

As of July 4, 2007, the 50-star flag has become the longest rendition in use.

Here's a link to the whole story; [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2008 05:40PM by mark blabaum.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: June 20, 2008 06:46PM

thats why I spend more time wrapping Swedish and Irish flags than Old Glory. Funny thread, needed a few laughs today.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2008 07:50PM

Mark, Thanks for the info. I knew I was on the right track. I wished I had read that earlier as I just rewrapped it!!! JUST KIDDING, It was on a scrap rod lol
Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster