I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ISB822.5 Micro guide concept setup
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2008 08:37AM

(Still) attempting to set up guides on a 6' 10" RX7 ISB822.5 blank, and want to try out some 3mm running guides when they arrive. Using the concept setup, I'm at 20 - 10 - 5, 3's... with the choke guide (#5) 30.5" from the tip, and a #20byag butt guide 48.5" from tip. (An 18" span with one guide in the middle.)

I just wondered if this setup was in the ballpark to anyone who's set this blank up in a similar manner, I realize that the choke guide position varies d/t the reel used. Thanks, I appreciate any help/comments!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ISB822.5 Micro guide concept setup
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2008 08:51AM

It sounds like it's in the ballpark.

Sight down through the butt guide to the choker guide - you should see something that resembles an archery target. Each ring perfectly and concentrically framed by the one preceeding it. If you see that, you're okay. If you see the rings sitting high or low, compared to the preceeding one, something is off.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2008 09:22AM

Thanks Tom, the rings do align great (archery target).

I've rarely had a problem positioning guides using the concept method, just thinking here about how to balance the weight-saving micros vs possibly adding an extra transition guide. I wondered if this would be a case, if an extra (third) transition guide was required, to pull the choke guide back into alignment with the (two) transition guides if need be, instead of the usual vice-versa. (I realize it would not become a true choke guide anymore in that case though.) Thanks again, appreciated, Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2008 09:53AM

If you only have 18 inches between the butt and choker guide, then I think 1 transition guide would be enough. The lighter micro guides near the tip only make the balance better, shifting it back towards the handle.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.atl.fdn.com)
Date: October 30, 2008 03:19PM

Mike,

Can you drop me an Email. I am building this same rod, and wanted to find out how it worked for you.

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster