I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

beetle spin rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 16, 2008 02:07PM

Hi guys,
Fortunately, I have had some time on my hands today. I was wondering what you all think of the idea to use a popping rod for tossing light (1/32 oz) beetlespins. I will be using 4-6lb braid on a Shimano 750 or 1500 for powerfishing for panfish, similar to how most people spinnerbait fish for bass just lighter stuff for the smaller fish. I was thinking of using my leftover p7000 cut to about 6 foot. If you think of better suggestions I am completely open to those as well. I do also have a couple sj590's and sj700's as well.

thanks,
Tom Kaufmann

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: beetle spin rod
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 16, 2008 02:11PM

One that I like is the StCroix SCIII 3S70ULF

DR

Date: June 16, 2008 02:15PM

Duane,
Do you find that UL is really slow?

Date: June 16, 2008 02:17PM

It is very "whippy" imo Thomas. I dont see how it got a fast rating.....

DR

Date: June 16, 2008 02:20PM

shoot, I wish that there was something similar to a sj for ultra lights.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 16, 2008 02:28PM

What about the Loomis SJ6400 or 700? I have a Forecast F662-4 which I built with a TN grip. I use a Sahara 750 with 4lb Fireline and it performs great. It is a little whippy - I would prefer something with a faster action - but will throw really light stuff and breaks down to just over 18".

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2008 06:08PM

A light popping rod would be fine for working very light lures. Why cut it? A longer rod provides better feel and will get you more fight from the same sized fish.

But, you will have to find a very, very light model. Most I'm aware of are rated for at least 1/8 ounce lures and up, and generally best with 1/4 ounce.

Date: June 16, 2008 08:52PM

Thomas the closet thing I know of is a Batson SB720-4

Clear Gloss
6'0" 4pc 4-8lb.1/16-5/16oz. 0.435 4.5 Fast Lt

This little blank is a tough cookie. I was suprised at how stout it really was. It may not throw the 1/32 AS WELL, but it sure has way more of a fast action and PLENTY of power versus most. I would not be afraid to go after nice smallmouth with that blank. It's not "whippy" for sure and the action is surely FAST as well, the cost is great too. It's a blank that suprised me quite a bit. Just one more to look at :)

DR

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2008 09:25PM

I have two of the SB720-4 rods and they are tough little boogers ... they serve as my personal pack rods. However, if portability weren't an issue - I would look real hard at the Loomis SJ6400 - very nice action.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 17, 2008 10:17AM

I built the SB720-4 for my son this winter and I agree that is my favorite option for a light bass rod - stout in the butt for what it is, light weight and extremely packable. I think 1/32 is well below the optimum casting range though. I also agree with Tom K. regarding longer rods. I seldom grab anything under 7 ft. The longer rods enable me to throw farther and give me a much more fun fight.
One more thought that is a little out of the box, but a very fast, light weight, 9ft fly blank makes for a fun fight with small fish. Something like a Dan Craft FT in a 2wt might be really cool.

Posted by: harry olatkiewicz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 17, 2008 12:40PM

What about a hastings GUSA 701DHX or 702DHX? Very nice blanks indeed.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 17, 2008 01:18PM

Thomas, I have two rods I built for that type of fishing, the Rainshadow IP840 (DBI = 8.0/70) and the St. Croix 3S70ULM2 (5.3/67). I prefer the IP840 since it has a stouter butt but can still throw small lures very well because it has a soft tip.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 09:27PM

Hi guys, sorry I have been late in getting back to you all. Tom and Marty I think that I will give the sj6400 a shot and see what I can find for a super light popping model too. Duane and Jim, I completely agree about the 720 I did build one a while back for this purpose and found it just a smidge heavy for what I was wanting.. I will say that I LOVE it for 1/16 and 1/8 ounce stuff... makes an awesome roadrunner rod and will toss the tiny Rapala's pretty darn well too.

thanks a ton for the advice.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster