I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish on EVA
Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: June 15, 2008 08:48PM

Gidday Lads,

I am unhappy with the finish on my EVA grips after shaping. It is too smooth and there are spots which are more shiny than others leaving an inconsistent poor surface.

I am considering using a heavier abrasive to put some texture back into the grip.

Has anyone got a suggestion as to what I could use? I have shaped the grip with drywall sanding screen 150 grit and this has resulted in this shiny inconsistency.

Thank you
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish on EVA
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 15, 2008 09:19PM

Could be the sanding screen has gotten a little clogged and is burnishing the EVA, rather than cutting. Especially if done at high speed on the lathe. Try dropping the speed a bit, and change pressure, clearing the screen often. Or try fine sandpaper.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 10:22PM

For the $3 per peice of EVA, buy some more and figure out which grit you like it sanded to best. I prefer that shiny polished look myself, I use regular sandpaper - best is strips of belt sanderfrom 40 down to 180, for less than that I use wet paper.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: June 16, 2008 01:48AM

Thanks Guys.

Billy, I wil try some diffent grits on some scrap. problem I have is that the grips in question are already mounted so I want to be right in my methods.'

Ted, the screen was clogged so thnaks for the tip. I will ensure it is clear and the lathe spinning a tad slower.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: June 16, 2008 07:39AM

IF it's already glued up, I strongly suggest buying some scrap and practicing. Why make your actual rod the practice stick? Once you make a mistake, there is no starting over.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2008 09:03AM

80 grit will leave a coarser surface, but will also tend to leave small cuts or lines around the grip. Not at all bad looking depending on what you're after, however.

Give it a try - you can always use finer paper to smooth things back down if you feel the coarser paper leaves it to rough for your tastes.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: June 16, 2008 12:34PM

I like to mix my grip finishes up. Some of them are burnished smooth with 400grit , some of them I leave cut up with 60grit. the rough grips eventually smooth out anyway.

Anthony

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 16, 2008 06:55PM

I sometimes do the same thing I do with cork and wood, that is, stop completely, and hand sand with finer grit. Almost like how you'd rub sude in one direction and see a different effect to rubbing the other way, reverse direction of the sanding and hand sand to lift the surface a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster