I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posted by: scotty ventura (---.maui.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 04:39PM

Aloha and welcome gang,
Hi Im Scott from Aqua Blue Maui and we wanted to welcome you all to come see our Thin Lam and pearl veneer which is what has been used for all rod wrapping type projects today since 96. Our product is rated number one in many different fields, and rod wraping is just one of the many ways it can be used, and we will help you on every single step of the way! We have been around for the last 13 years with great results for every one of our clients out there today who has tried and now use our Thin Lam TM Pearl Veneer.We have special offers "only" for you rod makers out there, so give us a call today at1-808-876-0217 and let us help you step up your game big time today!! You will not be sorry you did!! Aloha!

Scott Ventura
Aqua Blue Maui LLC ,www.aquabluemaui.com

Aqua Blue Maui LLC

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rich Gassman (71.237.62.---)
Date: June 14, 2008 05:55PM

Hi Scott, I am wondering if your Thin Lam or pearl veneer has been or is capable of being cut into shapes with a laser. Your product looks like really nice material that may look great inlaid into wood fishing rod handles.

Date: June 14, 2008 06:54PM

Aloha Rich.
As to the question can our Thin Lam Pearl Veneer take a laser cut bend and be slaped into a wood handle, yes by all means it can. In fact we make our Thin Lam as flexable as it can be made, and is designed to be laser cut perfect ever time. You see a lot of folks will not know it by simply looking at our product but we have done our home work as manufactor of such producrs as we sell. In other words we don't re- sell some ones elses product we make right here. Now one of our veneer that wraps around most any thing and will more than likely" not" fracute or crack is our Star Flake Pearl. But our Raw pearl and our Thin Lam tend to have a little of this going on. The raw is more for the beginer stage you might say ,where as the Thin Lam is more for advanced stage . But really, any one can do it as it all comes down to a learning curve , and time put in to in. If we can be of any help to you at any time please let us know how we can . Phone is -1-808-876-0217

Aloha
Scott
Aqua Blue Maui LLC

Date: June 14, 2008 06:57PM

Hi Rich,
as this is our first time being on this forum, and as we do not know all the ropes just yet . Please if you are gettng our responce, could you let us know if in fact you are getting it. This way we will know that we are doing things right .

Thanks
Scotty
Aqua Blue Maui LLC

Date: June 14, 2008 09:20PM

Hi Scott, thank you for your reply, I was away from my PC for a while and just had the chance to answer back. It sounds like I will eventually have to give the Thin Lam Pearl Veneer a try. I think I will wait a little while until I have a chance to read the upcoming article in RodMaker Magazine and also see if I can come up with a design that I think will look nice when it is laser cut out. Thank you again for your reply, have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Leo Futrell (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 14, 2008 10:50PM

What type of laser equipment are you using to cut with? Where is it available? Thanks in advance for your help.
Leo

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 14, 2008 11:30PM

Loe,
If you want to get the veneer laser cut, a great place to get this done is a Trophy shop. Take a look in the photo section. Bob Turpin has a beautiful picture of a laser cut Striper that he did for a customer. I can tell you though that this veneer is thin enough that a good pair of fly tying scissors will cut your shaps perfectly, with negligable cracking.

Kevin

Date: June 15, 2008 08:36AM

Hi Leo, I am not really sure what kind of laser it is, it is mainly used for cutting, etching, acrylics and wood veneer. There is a company in Colorado that has the laser and they will do smaller jobs at a pretty reasonable price. I have known them for 30 years or more, I was always making something out of plastic resins or acrylic sheets. It would be great to have a laser like they have, if you can dream it up with Corel Draw they can cut it, or etch it on to plastic or wood veneer. Have a great day, Rich.

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.163.17.98.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 17, 2008 09:32AM

Hey Leo. . . When you're going thru a learning curve you must be willing to spend some money and waste some material. I had a fellow here in north GA laser cut my Striper for me. He charged me set up charge and $X a pop per Striper. I ruined 3 during the learning curve. I don't think I'm interested in buying a laser and getting into the laser cutting business. Kevin is right about the thin lam being thin enough to cut with scissors. I cut the abalone trim bands with scissors. I can still run with scissors, but I'm 70 and a little shakey and didn't have the confidence to cut out the Striper figure with scissors.

Bob Turpen
Tiger Rods
Dawsonville, GA

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2008 09:43AM by Bob Turpen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster