I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallie rod blank opinions requested....
Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.sub-75-198-215.myvzw.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 05:10PM

I just built one of the last All Star 721's left, thinking it would be a smallie rod. It isn't .

I am looking for a blank to throw 1/16-1/4 6' long. It will be used out of canoes/kayaks...

I prefer fast action. Will use a Stradc 1000 size reel and 4-6lb test...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallie rod blank opinions requested....
Posted by: Dave Borkowski (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 05:16PM

Tommy,

What didn't you like about the All Star 721?
<>Dave

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 05:17PM

I just built on a St Croix SCIV 4S66MLF, love the feel of the rod, but yet to fish it. It seems to have enough back bone to set the hook, yet it has a soft enough tip to be forgiving if you're slow to set the hook. I should know in a couple of weeks how well it works and I'll let you know. Mark

Date: June 13, 2008 05:24PM

Thanks !!!!

How does it cast the small baits (1/16 to 1/4)??

I really want to be able to toss the lures 75-100'...

The best I can do with the Allstar is about 50'...

Thanks !!

Date: June 13, 2008 05:45PM

Dave, I did not see your post... The allstar is a little too heavy on the action for less than 1/4...

It is an awesome feeling rod, just a little too much power...

Posted by: Dave Borkowski (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 06:08PM

The reason I asked was I also use a All Star 721 for smallies. So, I just went and did a test to see how far I can throw the a few lures. I can throw a 1/8 oz lure about 55-65' and I can throw a 1/4 oz lure 80-95' on average. I don't think you're going to find a rod to throw a 1/16 oz lure a 100' . If you would like to get some more distance try moving up to a 6'6" and make sure those guides are spaced right. It can make a big difference.

For my money I like St. Croix SCIII 3S66LF or 3S60LF for a real durable smallie rod.

Good Luck. I would be interest to hear how you make out.
<>Dave

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2008 06:17PM

I like the 4S510MXF. That is one tough blank and can REALLY cast the light stuff. Rated 8-12# and weighing in at only 1.3 ounces.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: June 13, 2008 06:26PM

G Loomis SJ700 or 720. My favorite smally rod (SJ 700) by far, X fast action, light, biggest difference from backbone to light tip action I've ever seen, but it's still smooth and pleasant to fish. Would never be without one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2008 06:37PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 06:51PM

To get that kind of distance with those size baits, you might have to go to 6'6". My personal favorite smallie rod is the 3S66LF. In my opinion, it's the perfect rod for 6 lb. test and 1/8 oz. baits. You can still whip a 1/16 oz. bait quite a ways, and the rod will handle 1/4 oz. without being too over-loaded.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2008 07:03PM

You may wish to consult the RodMaker Volume 7 #1 issue which has specs for a smallmouth river rod. It sounds exactly like what you're after.

Loomis SJ700 extended from the butt to about 6'4" makes a really fantastic rod.

Date: June 13, 2008 07:26PM

Tom, I may end up with that blank :)

Extending the butt....Hmm...

Let me try that...

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2008 07:29PM

The added length will help with both casting distance and hook setting ability. It also makes the action very fast, which for this type fishing I greatly prefer.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.74.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2008 01:13PM

I've put together a couple of these for smallmouth. Lamiglas LSJ721. MudHole as them on clearance at a very good price. I put them together with a Matrix spinning handle for a very sweet, lightweight rod. The blank is 6ft., 6-10lb line, 1/16-5/16 lure weight. Using this handle you can make it a 6ft 6inch rod very easily.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 14, 2008 01:51PM

All the Lamiglas spin jigs at Mudhole are sold out.

Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.sub-75-198-24.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2008 02:22PM

I have built a Loomis P842, Lami P844, Allstar 781...

of the three, I must say, I like the balance and feel of the Loomis the best...

And now that my wife understands there is no 12 step program to recover from the addiction of rod building...

She'll understand when I order the loomis. SJ 700..

One other question, How do you all recomend extending the butt on these small ID blanks??

Of the whole WWW, this site gives you better (and more diverse) answers than my other hobbies and interests...

Thanks guys

Posted by: CHARLES CEPHAS (---.fuse.net)
Date: June 14, 2008 03:32PM

Tommy take a look in the library at the top of the page.There is a article on extending blanks should get you going in the right direction.RMM #7-1 might be more detailed. but this should get you started hope this helps

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: June 14, 2008 05:27PM

Aluminum tube is the hot set up for extending the SJ 700. Keep wanting to try that with my old IM6 version, but never seem to have the time to build stuff for me much anymore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster