I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide wraps~ customary practice?
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 02:43PM

On guide styles where one leg of the guide is longer than the other, is it customary to make the under layer and over wraps the same length on each side of the guide so all looks symmetrical or is the short leg wrapped .... shorter?

If symmetrical, is there a faster avenue of attack to determine lengths rather than trial and error? Have tried math & measurement, have tried drawings & measurement, but end up with endless dinking around to get things arranged.

I guess one of the things aggravating my situation is I like to put a metallic trim band centered in the under layer under the guide, but then because of the difference in leg length, that isn't the center of the under wrap and that throws off the length of the over wraps.

Something this simple can't be this hard to figure out?

thanks,

Pesco Ergo Sum

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide wraps~ customary practice?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 11, 2008 03:18PM

Do wha tyou like to do, there is no righ tor wrong way.

I do them symetrical, with the center trim in teh middle of teh guide wrap. Each guide foot wrap is the same distance, regardless of the length of the feet. Get an index card, put the guide standing up on it. Now mark off both feet, where teh starting and ending points are for both of them - you should have 4 marks now. For center trim, measure the distance between the center marks, and divide by 2. MArk that with a diferent color. Take the longer foot, add teh length you desire to wrap off teh foot (5mm or whatever). Mark that point in a different color. Now measure this point, to teh end of where that guide foot wrap will stop. Take that same distance, and measure the other guide foot, and mark it.

I hope that is not confusing, as it is really easy to get symetrical guide wraps that way, with no hassle. AS you are wrapping, just hold the index card up to measure.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 03:26PM

I too have been having a problem with "offset guides" so that idex card is a great idea Billy.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 03:46PM

I do the foot wraps equal-symmetrical but usually do the center inlays offset so they fall under the guide ring. Popular guides I have a cheat sheet with measurements for each style and size

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 07:29PM

Thanks Billy.... and as elementary as this question is, you'd think fancy wraps would be out of my league. Your book is terrific however, and I am having great success with it! I appreciate your time.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 08:44PM

I do the wraps symmetrical the feet length.
I wrap three around the blank then up the feet I go if one side is longer then the other. I don't see the need to add extra length and weight to the finished product.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: June 12, 2008 01:01PM

I dont know why fancy wraps would be out of anybody's league. Tehy really arent' hard, its' a matter of putting in the time to get them done. Glad you like the book, and I'm looking foard to seeing some pics of your wraps in the future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster