I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's with split grips
Posted by: mike nash (---.rbbmt.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:29AM

Why are most of the casting style of custom rods equiped with a split grip? Is it bad to use a full length grip on a casting rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's with split grips
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:41AM

Weight savings, plus they look cool. Also aid in effectively orienting your hand position for maximum leverage when casting double handed. There's space for decorative thread work, marbling, decals, anything you like. The grip ends can be dressed up with winding checks for a little more bling.

That said, they are not everyone's cup of tea. I really don't like those out of proportion grips with a long section behind the seat and a super short butt grip. Looks funny. I keep mine just short enough behind the seat to rest the heel of the hand, and the butt grip either the same or slightly longer. Any sort of butt cap also makes the butt grip a bit longer also.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:53AM

Exactly what Ted said. My Bass fishing customers all want split grips. But as Ted says, they must look good and be well proportioned. I think they are especially nice on a spinning rod.

Date: June 11, 2008 12:54AM

Okay thanks. I was not really wanting to do one but I was wondering why all of the custom ones had split grips.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:59AM

It's just a matter of appeal to the eye first of all. You can then explain some of the benefits later. They look good when done in good proportions and with some decorative work. Add inlays and wood like some of the artists on here and you have a BEAUTIFUL custom split grip. Who wouldn't want one????????

Date: June 11, 2008 01:08AM

ME!!! No just kidding. I do think that the custom rods with artwork between the split grips are awesome. I really like the marbalized look. There are a lot of people with a great amount of talent on here. Hats off to all of you!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 06:49AM

what is the general proportion scale for the split grips, I too think they look really cool. My next rod needs to have such a set with mrbling in between.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 09:14AM

Good morning!

Split grips, grips, who needs them!!!

Just finished a demo rod for jigging fluke, summer flounder to some, in 3-10' water using 10-15# test line and SPRO type jigs around 1/2 oz.. Sensitivity and fun is the goal. No grips, just a 1/2 " piece of EVA at ends of reel seat, single foot light weight guides, no underwrap just a guide wrap with very short wraps. Nothing enhanced!!! Not ever a tip top wrap.

I have to tell you I love this rod. It feels comfortable in my hands, With my hands on the blank I am in touch with what is happening, i feel what is happening at the hook better and yes I am trying braided line with it. What a blast I had catching fish with it.

Now, I grant you many think a spiral wrapped rod looks funny and defies convention Well, this rod defies convention even more.

Moral to the story is design your rods they way you desire. If the design works for you go with it. It others don't like what they see then they have a problem. Trying something different is half the fun of rod building. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:14PM

Bill Eshelman; Look at Swampland's web site. They sell a set of split grips ( cork or EVA) that are proportioned very nicely. Order a set of them and see what you think about them. You could even tweak them a little if you wanted any changes in shape .

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 03:23PM

I also think a split grip looks better!I have to agree with you Capt. Neil, I like to look or think outside the box but keeping it simple and build what you like. Of course I build mostly for myself so I don't have anyone to please but myself. I also like the feel of the blank and instead of EVA or cork I have been carbon sleeving directly to the blank (mostly for looks as some blanks are unfinished at the butt) and it still gives you the feel of the blank directly in your hand. I'm just finishing my first spiral wrapped rod on a Super Seeker blank for my Bro-in-law and wow, I love this thing! On test casting I can't beleive more people don't take to this concept, I'm sold on it. Why no tip top wrap? Due to weight??

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:02PM

Hi John,

Yes, it was about weight. I know, a very little amount of weight, but weight none the less.

I love the rod but an still looking for a better reel seat solution. I may build one without a reel seat.

Neil

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 05:09PM

Would it be feasible to wrap the reel feet directly to the blank?

On the Vibronics, Steve wraps them straight to a handle. What would the disadvantage be (other than ergonomics)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 05:09PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 06:13PM

This may not be a very good reason, but I found it much easier to ream the cork using split grips on a couple of surf rods I built. It is the only time I have used a split grip, but will definately do more in the future.

Herb

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2008 06:15PM

Alex,I have seen people tape them on so I would say using thread would be ok, just a little more permenant then tape.Reel maintnence might be the only problem.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 10:41PM

Why? Credit Rodmaker Mag. article. A good idea will be used by those that see its potential. Form follows function. The split grip - along with many other ideas in Rodmaker - made all previous Bass rods obsolete - not a bad position for custom builders to be in. Factory rods have had to copy - or be left behind. They seem to be doing quite well with their copies (they subscribe!) - I've actually helped a few to get it right. Nothing worse than a good idea done poorly.

A standard grip worked well enough for a lot of years - but we either advance or we don't - why settle for good enough - when better is possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster