I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A/C effect on Rod Finish
Posted by: Fernando Torres (38.97.70.---)
Date: June 10, 2008 01:35AM

Hello All,

Its been a while since my last post, all work and no fun.

I was working on a rod today and noticed that after about 8 hours of drying time, some of the expoxy had large bubbles on it?? Not sure what caused this and the finish was still pretty tacky. Now the a/c was on in the house today while the rod was drying, could the a/c have an affect on the finish??

Thanks
Fernando Torres-NERB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A/C effect on Rod Finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2008 08:49AM

No. It would not cause that. Bubbles are introduced during mixing and application and you have to watch for them as they release (or try to) once on the wraps. Large bubbles may release late in the epoxy setting stage and the finish may not then flow back over the opening. The result is a large crater. If they cannot release, you simply wind up with visible bubbles in the epoxy.

Posted by: Bill Hartman (---.lightspeed.dllstx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 09:39AM

If anything the A/C would help the drying,because it pulls humidity out of the air. If your cooling is a swamp cooler it will add humidity to the air.

Date: June 10, 2008 11:34AM

Humidity shouldn't have any effect on the cure of epoxy. But I tend to think that having the shop at a controlled room temperature of about 72F to 74F can't do anything but improve things for you.

Date: June 10, 2008 11:43AM

I just going on my own expereance. Here in Tx. we tend to get a little humid ( 87% here now). When the A/C is going, my rods tend to dry a little faster than when its not ( thats not very often.... LOL).

Date: June 10, 2008 12:22PM

That's interesting and I don't doubt you, it's just that epoxy cures by chemical reaction, not by release of solvents or drying of any type.

I know what you mean by humidity - we've been at near 100 degrees and 90% humidity for the past week.

Date: June 10, 2008 12:31PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> I know what you mean by humidity - we've been at
> near 100 degrees and 90% humidity for the past
> week.
>
> ............
Tom
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!

The drying time might also have to do with, the house being warmer. I don't keep the A/C as low as some folks, usally around 78. After 20 years of A/C repair and hanging out in attics I like it a little warm.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.tyrmcmta02.tylrtx.tl.sta.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 07:04PM

I heard that epoxy forms less bubbles in a humid environment. I am not sure if this is true.

Date: June 10, 2008 07:13PM

Not sure, but will be having dinner tonight with someone who is an expert in this field. I'll find out and if so, why.

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 07:23PM

Epoxy and two part finishes will set and cure under water, so humidity has nothing to do with that, but can help cause blushing.
Mixing, application, and temp extremes(set up time) are the normal causes of bubbles.

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:00PM

Thanks for all the replies, I have taken off the afftected area and will apply new finish, on Friday. it was more of what Tom mentioned a crator rather than a bubble. I also noticed only in the area where it formed, it was still tacky even after two days. this was the only part of the rod that had the problem, I forgot to mention that it was over a bass decal, maybe the decal had some type of contaminant in that one area that may have caused it?? As I said before I never had this problem and always mixed my expoxy for at least 3-5 minutes.

Fernando Torres-Nerb

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2008 12:59PM

Can air conditions contribute the the formation of a large bubble? Yes! How? Think this through - Shop is nice a and cool with air conditioner humming away - Thread wrap with metallic trim band with both ends of metallic pulled under nylon thead - apply heavy first coat of finish - you are in a hurry to get out of the shop - watch it for a few minutes and everything fine - cut off air conditioner - go to McDonalds to get a burger - go back in shop next morning and see a huge bubble in the location that the pull was made on the metallic trim band - what happened? - temperature in shop increased - air entrained in metallic thread displaced and could not escape without blowing a crater in finish - many many times this has happened to me. Now I torch em good to expand air and blow it out before finish thickens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster