I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First epoxy cure failure
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 11:05AM

Well, I finally did it! Yesterday I mixed a batch of epoxy and applied it to a rod I was completing only to find four hours later that it still hadn't started to harden. This was my first epoxy failure in well over 100 mixed batches and looking back I had several clues that something was wrong during the application.

The first clue was that the mixed epoxy was stiffer than usual when I started to apply it. It also developed more bubbles than usual in mixing. When applied the bubbles didn't release well and leveling wasn't normal. Not having mixed a previous batch like this I ignored all these signs and thought, 'the epoxy gods aren't smiling on me today'.

Thanks to all of the good info I've read in this and other forums over the years I wasn't panicked yet. I left the rod on the turner while removing all of the epoxy that would come off on my spatula and applied a carefully measured one to one mix. This second batch applied easily and released bubbles easily and best of all cured on time.

Just a reminder to all that at times the mind does wander but there may be a cure at hand for your mistakes.
Also don't mix 2 1/2 cc's of resin with 2 cc's of hardener unless you have time to experiment.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First epoxy cure failure
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 12:11PM

2 1/2 cc of resin mixed with 2 1/2 cc of resin will positi0on you for entrance to the proper place of worship. I suspect the custom structure shown is highly applicalbe to both of us! I will return it to the place of origin for a short visit if you think your pain would be minimized.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 08, 2008 12:32PM

"No brain, no pain"! Just a short 'old timers trip' for a peek at the future.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2008 02:30PM

Stan I would venture to say you did the one thing that guarantees a failure 100% of the time, mix exactly 3cc of resin to 3cc of resin and it will NOT cure and it is something a good number of us have or will do glad it came out ok
John

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 02:45PM

Stan you have to quit sniffing so much Sage and Juniper!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLO

Date: June 08, 2008 02:47PM

John, That is certainly another possibility! In my advanced years I seem to be exploring a lot of new ground as well as procedures. Every day brings a new experience.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Date: June 08, 2008 02:50PM

That wasn't a problem in my formative years. Perhaps the cumulative effect is now catching up.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 08, 2008 03:26PM

Stan,

Set your bottles up and look at the level of each. There should be the same amount in both bottles. If one is a bit lower than the other, you probably mixed 2 parts resin or 2 parts hardener. I did this once, on my second rod. Haven't repeated the error since, however, and I doubt you will either.

All the various finish epoxies work as advertised so when something like this crops up, you know you've made an error somewhere.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 03:56PM

Tom has a point on the bottles IF you started with the same amount in each one! I have seen some that have more in them than others and I've ended up with one bottle that had some left over. I stick syringes in the tops of my bottles that STAY there until the finish gone, no "off" measuring here.

DR

Date: June 08, 2008 04:05PM

Tom,
I was right down to the bitter end on my bottles. Thats why I was shooting for 2 1/2 cc's. I've checked as you suggest and believe I was a bit short on the hardener. I have syringes in the caps and the resin being thicker takes a while to fill the bottle neck and displace air. I usually always measure it first. The hardener runs more freely and I draw it out second. I think I would have noticed this difference had I used the resin twice and I doubt if I had 5 cc's left in it.
The main thing I think I learned is that if the mix characteristics don't react normally you should smell a rat and discard the batch. You're going to end up mixing a new one anyway.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2008 04:12PM by Stan Grace.

Date: June 08, 2008 04:06PM

Tom,
Double post

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2008 04:11PM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 12:18AM

Actually, you achieve the same difference between the bottles if you spill one.

Then later, you gotta figure out what to do with the rest of the bottle you didn't spill.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 09, 2008 05:23AM

That is why I use a measuring cup/ I mix no less thana 1/2 oz at a time.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster