I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

moth in my finish!
Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: June 07, 2008 11:34PM

a moth got in to my finish as it was drying and made a mess of things,i tried to just apply another coat of finish and made it even worse! it was on the butt end right over the decal i put on.The finish is lumpy and bumpy. i used TM lite finish.
Question is,can i fix this?can i sand the finish back smooth and recoat? if so,what grit should i use?
Thanks in advance,i know someone will come up with the best course of action.

scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: moth in my finish!
Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 12:20AM

Had one of my cat rub up against a butt wrap I had just put on the dryer. 2x. What I did was let the finish cure then sand with 320 grit wet dry, then clean real well with a rag and DNA, then recoat. Cant tell the difference.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (---.knology.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 10:52AM

Moth Inlay maybe?

Anthony
AKRods

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 08, 2008 06:45PM

that was my first thought Anthony - too bad it wasn't right on the butt of the rod

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: June 09, 2008 10:50PM

Thanks Lou,that worked out pretty well.After i sanded out the ruff parts and cleaned off the dust i was surprised at how well it looked before i even put on more finish.I wonder if you could keep going with finer sandpaper say 800 then 1200 or 2000 wet sand maybe?Do you think it would polish up to where you wouldent need to use more finish? Im sure someone has tried that.
Thanks again LOU,as for you other two jokers, in the words of the late great Carnak,may a rabid camel spit in your thread box! LOL

Posted by: Jim Lueck (---.89.167.154.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 11:50AM

Scott, I'm sure like most builders this won't be the last "uh-oh" on a finish job. Progressively finer grits will look better but I don't think you'll ever achieve the high gloss of a fresh coat of finish. Not without some sort of polishing and considering the effort to polish up to a gloss, another light coat of finish would be easier IMO. I would add that it's better to give a problem finish plenty of time to cure fully before trying any sanding. If not, the finish can tend to "gum up" the paper and can be a problem getting it smooth.. Even though it feels dry to the touch, it may not be cured fully. Just some thoughts, Good luck................rabid camel....good one.

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.39.251.72.1dial.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 10:25PM

You are probably right Jim,at some point the return on your efort may just not be worth it when you know what results you can expect from another coat of finish, provided you keep the bugs and camels out of it ! Them gosh darn old camels anyway. Just cant trust em.
thanks for your response,and thanks again Lou.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster