I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

painting question
Posted by: Chad Huderle (65.91.174.---)
Date: June 06, 2008 09:05AM

I'm in the process of refurbishing a fiberglass stick. It's a 6 1/2' Cabelas eGlass baitcasting rod that had brown paint on it. I've turned walnut fore and butt grips and I'm planning on mounting the guides in the spiral fashion. I'm going to try my hand at weaving just above the fore grip. I received Doc Ski's videos and James Upton's great weaving book so I'm now very inspired. This one will be a Fighting Sioux logo!

Anyway, my real question is preparation of the used blank. I've carefully stripped off the old paint so as not to damage the fiberglass. The underlying fiberglass looks just okay but not like a new blank. I'm thinking I'll paint it but want to use a paint that'll take some abuse. It should also be flexible enough so that when the rod flexes it won't stress the paint. Should this even be a concern??? At this point I'm thinking one of the Krylon-type paints along with a few clear coats should do the trick.

Please share your experiences as I'd like to do this right the first time.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: painting question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:07AM

Urethane clear top coat will give you the durability you desire. Do test it first and make sure it won't have any sort of adverse reaction with the underlying paint.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:08AM

Chad do a search here and select all dates, there is a ton of information about painting blanks.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (208.29.146.---)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:54AM

Thanks. Should have thought of that myself! lol

Chad Huderle
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Harold Krause (192.193.221.---)
Date: June 06, 2008 11:12AM

Hey Chad,

I am pretty new to this hobby. I am still learning and really don't have a lot of spare money to spend on new blanks and such. So to keep it cheap and advance my skills I rebuild old throw away rods. I actually find it very rewarding. I reuse as may components as I can (guides, tip tops ect.). Most of the rods I get are pretty old and beat up. As soon as I remove the guides, the paint and finish are pretty much trashed. So it is standard that I strip them down to the raw blank and repaint them. I am not skilled enough to do fancy wraps or weaves and I don't have the tools yet to turn and make my own handles, so to "customize" them I paint them bright and crazy colors. Since these are for myself, friends and family, the one the rod is being built for gets to choose the color.

I have used three different types of paint all with pretty good results. I have used Plaxicoat (sp?) which turned out good, however I don't trust it's durability (didn't put a clear coat on that one). I then used Dupli Color car paint. Works really good. I put matching Dulpi Color clear coat to help protect it. So far so good on that one. Only problem with Dupli Color is that I buy it locally at auto part stores and color choices can be very limited. So the last one I tried was Krylon paint. The "customer" wanted bright purple so it was a harder color to find. Krylon has a ton of cool colors. I bought the one that says "suitable for" and about 10 different surfaces listed. Anything safe for plastic in my eyes is good for a fishing rod. To me plastic flexes...if the paint is good for plastic it should have some flexing ability to the paint itself. Of course I have no type of scientific knowledge of this, but it seems to work for me. The Krylon dries with a nice glossy finish. It was probably good with just the paint, but I did use some of the left over Dupli Color clear coat to put a protective coat over the Krylon with no ill effects. Of the three I have used, I think I'm going to say Krylon was the overall best for me (and I will be using it again).

Now this is all just on my own limited experiences. I'm sure there are better ways and some reading this may think I'm an idiot, but I hope this helps.

Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 06, 2008 10:40PM

Chad I paint a lot of blanks, and prep on them is the most inportant. I also have a friend in the auto paint business and he mixes the paint for me and adds the aditive they use on flexable bumper cover and such. In the last few years I have had zero problems with paint unless it is a deep scratch.

Posted by: John Broughton (---.vgs.untd.com)
Date: June 07, 2008 12:20AM

I too restore many old rods. That means painting them. My choice in paint is Krylon Fusion, however
the choice in colors is very limited. I also use the regular Krylon, but prefer the Fusion. After painting
I spray the blank with Krylon crystal clear. So far I've had great results.

my 2 cents John

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2008 10:36AM

If you think you'd like the look of the fiberglass with a "transluscent" effect (in the sunlight especially!), use Perma Gloss. PG puts a tough, protective finish on the rod, as well.

Posted by: harry olatkiewicz (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 18, 2008 08:06AM

Some really good spray paints used by proffesional artists are Montana and Belton. These paints are extremely good particularly the German made Belton from what i have seen they're a spectacular paint. However i have little knowledge of panting blanks and believe that some sort of additive may be neccessary as Lyle mentioned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster