I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning dropshot with fly foregrip and seat layout?
Posted by: Rick Stuart (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 02:57AM

Wow this forum is awesome. I've built 3 rods in the past 2 years, and each gets better. I have 2 more planned out. Thanks for all the questions and replies. Now I have one.

Next up will be a G-Loomis dropshot blank. I fish that style alot on Clear Lake CA, so I will really use it and look forward to getting some bass on it. I was thinking why not set it up like a fly rod? I could cast fine, balance the rod maybe better, and fight the fish and reel it in with no problem.

I think.

Anyone see any disadvantage to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning dropshot with fly foregrip and seat layout?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 05:44AM

Real Real Close in a new Concept

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:06AM

Rick, it works. It's different and takes a little getting used to at first, but it does work. Casting characteristics and balance are different from normal spining rigs, but you may find that you like it. I know I do.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

As they say... "To each their own..." ... and that's what custom rod building is all about.
Let us know how it works for you.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:12AM

I would look at a TN grip, either cork or graphite. I have both and love them. The good thing about the TN grip is that you can also move the reel forward or back to optimize your balance. The cork grip I have even feels a little like a full wells grip given the way it flares at the front.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:23AM

Rogue rods has built one on a graphite handle for about 3 years now. I messed with the design to check it out back than and I found out ,for me anyway, I wouldn't use a regular fly grip, but a straight grip as they used. The grip has to allow the angler to find his balance point, because the design uses the reel behind the hand to counterweight the tips weight you would have to be able to move your hand around comfortably depending on the reel used, etc. The humps.etc built into the standard fly grip kind of restricts hand movement a bit. For that reason I would use a Fenwick half wells, Gordon or similar fly grip design, or just a straight grip.
I'd mess with the blank and components, with the reel installed quite a bit to get it like you want it prior to actually gluing and wrapping everything up.
The Rogue rod was a Max DS 704S GH and it was a semi-custom design you had to order ahead of time.

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 10:05AM

You may want to check out the "Vibrionic" style rod. It can utilize slip rings to secure the handle, plus placing the blank directly against the handle & your palm. It is outlined in a past issue of Rod Builder. The Texalium or Tennessee tube style handles would work well for this, if you are not setup to build a carbon grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 10:07AM by Scott Taylor.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 10:22AM

This is very similar to how the Michigan style spinning handles have been being built for many years.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 11:33AM

A lot of Crappie fishermen use a Fly rod with a light spinning reel attached for pitching minnows into brush . I know of a Crappie guide in the state of Mississippi that wouldn't use anything but a #8 fly rod with an ultra lite spinning reel.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 01:22PM

Rick - I've been down this road a long time ago. Here's what you can try - it will work both ways. Build a 12.5 inch cork TN grip, one inch diameter, rubberized butt. Use 2 pieces of 3/4 inch strapping tape, cut 3 1/4 inches long to secure the reel - back one day - up the next - eventually you'll decide what location works best for you and those Clear Lake bruisers.

Date: June 05, 2008 03:37PM

That Rogue rod looks like what I am thinking of doing. That Airrus is close and a beauty too!

I'd do something more simple :) Just a regular longer foregrip and a little button or something on the end, like a split without the split and a longer foregrip. The idea would be to fish with it holding the foregrip. My wife was in Tokyo and bought me a Daiwa Exist Steez 2506 reel, it is light and has a big spool for a small reel so long casts aren't what it does well. They say it is meant for fluorocarbon finesse fishing. I like doing that alot.

I think it will fish really well for this so I want to build a rod for it that will take advantage of its high end breeding. I know everyone wants a sensitive rod for this stuff, well me too!

I've never fished with a TN handle, and never built one. Can you attach the reel with something other than tape?

Todd couldn't find "Michigan" handles on your site, and Scott couldn't find anything about vibrionic style. Sounds like fun! Har!

My dad (and I) used to use a fly rod with an old Mitchell 300 waaaay back when for panfish. I remember he caught a lot of fish, so it must have worked! I have been fishing dropshot and finesse style with a G Loomis Spin Jig IMX SJ723 and I really like it. I think I'll match this reel with their dropshot blank like a DSR820S or DSR822S.

I'm finishing up a Rain Shadow ISB722 today, and the new project will start soon! And hey Todd my wife heard about the Pinkies, so I ordered her a kit. Sheesh...

Posted by: Scott Taylor (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 04:05PM

Rick unhide your email or email me, and I will shoot you some info on the Vibronic rods.

Date: June 05, 2008 04:41PM

Thanks sent an email and opened up mine.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 04:44PM

In my minds eye I see where it would work well. I would make this change though: Instead of using a regular spinning reel with a bail that you have to open to cast, I would probably go for a QUALITY underslung spin cast reel such as the Daiwa's, or Scorpion's or something similar. This would make casting a lot smoother and easier, since you could just use your pinky finger to make the cast.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 04:51PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 04:55PM

Bill that's a smart idea! I think I'll try that...

Date: June 05, 2008 05:16PM

William Bartlett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my minds eye I see where it would work well. I
> would make this change though: Instead of using a
> regular spinning reel with a bail that you have to
> open to cast, I would probably go for a QUALITY
> underslung spin cast reel such as the Daiwa's, or
> Scorpion's or something similar. This would make
> casting a lot smoother and easier, since you
> could just use your pinky finger to make the cast.

But when I use a spinning reel I often use my index finger to slow the line coming off the spool, like a sideways baitcaster. It is weird, but I've been doing it forever and I think it helps me be more accurate so I need that open spool.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 05:47PM

Rick;
There is nothing "weird" about how you control your line. I do it that way many times when casting at targets, and have seen several other people do it also

Richard Forhan has given you some good advice.

Then when you've decided were you want to keep the reel you could go ahead and set it up like a Vibronics rod, as Scott Taylor suggested

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 11:57PM

Rick;
You mentioned attaching the reel to a Tenn handle with something other than tape.
I would do as Rich Forhan suggested, tape it on where you think it should go,fish it one day ,move it , fish it again . Do this until you are happy with the reel placement then you can attach it permanently if you like by using thread such as in this photo.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster