I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Rod Wrapper is best? Value & Quality
Posted by: Al Sanders (---.mpihq.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 03:14PM

I have been making rods for about 3 years just spinning by hand. I am now looking to buy a power rod wrapper. Are they worth it? I will be making light to heavy saltwater rods. I have looked at the pac bay wrapper but it seems pricy. I am looking to spend about $400. Less would be better but I want a quality one. I will be making rods as a a hobby and for friends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Rod Wrapper is best? Value & Quality
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: June 04, 2008 03:25PM

I can only comment on the PacBay. I purchased the RW-3XL this over the winter and am very pleased with it. For the under $400 power wrappers I think it is the nicest you will get. They are all basically the same at this price point. The only difference really is the chuck, and the PacBay has the better chuck.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 03:40PM

Flexcoat DL747 . call the office number for pricing , it has advantages the others dont

Robert

Date: June 04, 2008 03:46PM

Yes, I was looking at buying the pac bay one

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:14PM

Al- I don't think that you will be disapointed in the pac Bay wrapper. I have had mine for over ten years now and being a hobby builder it has served me well. However I did up grade to the new chuck when it came out. I'm pleased with that also.
I don't like turning cork or eva in my shop due to the dust so for that task I bought me the Grizzly hobby lathe, and do my turning out of doors.I,m very well happy with that lathe also.
Good luck in whatever way you go , and have fun !!!

<<<< DON AT HOBBYRODS >>>>

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:47PM

Pac Bay for wrapping and drying. Renzetti for turning. I have both as I can't seen to come to grips with the CCW wrapping direction of the Renzetti.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 05:21PM

I have the Pac Bay XL with the tubes and I like it very much and it's very portable(breaks down easy and it's lite weight) if you have to move it at all.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 06:03PM

Chris,

The Renzetti can be quickly reversed, including the thread carriage thread feed arm.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 08:59PM

At that price tag-the Pac bay would fit your budget. The Renzitta is a Cadillac. ($700. +) Get the Pac-Bay with the upgraded chuck and thread carriage! If you have problems finding it for less than $400. let me know. I might be able to help.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.34-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:35PM

My $.02 - I only mae rods by hand turning until the last two. I borrowed a friends Flexcoat power wrapper... Although I can hardly picture myself ever going back to hand there are some things I would change. The rubber chuck will not hold a blank on its own and also does not grip tight enough to use much pressure when sanding. The motor needs to have some different speed levels - holding an rpm constant is practically impossible. It would be an advantage with things like tiger wraps to have a steady rpm.
That said, I can't imagine using the wing nut thread tensioner that is standard on the pac bay. the flexcoat one (upgrade on pb) is soooo much better. Also, the wooden one piece design of the flexcoat is terrible for longer rods. the last few guides on an 8ft rod requires either all hand use or some rearrangement of the motor. The pac bay at least has an extendable base you can get.

I'm a rookie, but I will NOT be going back to hand wrapping. The advantages of power open many doors. Cork and Eva shaping and the ability to lay down a 6 inch base wrap in 30 seconds is worth every penny.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 11:21PM

The PacBay with the "Super" chuck is the best deal for the money. We do everything on it except grip shaping, which we used to do on it but now have a mini-lathe for. Goddness, that's bad english, but you get the idea. The version with the rails instead of the c-channel base is easier to keep clean but doesn't have the "Super" chuck.

Don't be misled by the $700 quote for the Renzetti - to do what you can do "out-of-the-box" with the PacBay you'll need to add at least $300 more. That's two PacBay's with change left over.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 09:52AM by Moderator.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 09:50AM

There are roughly 3 levels of power wrappers. All have their advantages/disadvantages.

The entry level, pac Bay style provide power for wrapping and occasional light turning. Most upgrade to the better chuck, which puts it around the $400 mark. If you are in a "one rod at a time" mode, it also provides a drying motor by just changing the belt position. Most just use this for wrapping and have separate turning stations elswhere if you are into serious grip and insert turning. The Flexcoat wrapper fits in this category, but has limitations with respect to length (can't be extended) and the rod supports sit in the vertical plane on a back panel which may or may not suit your wrapping style. The chuck is sort of funky as well, but could be upgraded with some work. These are around $400 off the shelf.

The Custom Power Wrap (not mentioned above is more substantial with respect to motors and chucks, thread holding and provides the same functions as the PB wrapper. Components and options are selectable so if you want a tailstock for turning, or with/without a drying motor you can tailor it to your wrapping needs, or upgrade later. These are in the $650 range and available from Angler's Workshop.

The Renzetti is an outstanding tool of exceptional quality. The thread carraiges are about the best there are available and it's very pleasant to use. It does not have a drying motor option but is easily used for turning as well as wrapping. If you add all the options to get the same functionality as the 2 above, Russ is right, you will be closer to around $900, but it's the last wrapper/turner you'll need to buy.

So, it all depends on the number of rods and whether you will be doing any turning on the station. A Pac Bay wrapper for the hobby builder will last a long time and many production shops use these successfully.

Good luck.

Terry

Date: June 05, 2008 01:27PM

Which Model of the Pac Bay is the best? I can only find it for about $450

Which one out of these 2

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 03:30PM by Al Sanders.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 04:41PM

AL.. Go with the second choice with the chuck up grade. Also when you place the order get an extra rod stand, and the dual thread carriage. I think this is a great set for a beginner and a hobby rod builder.
I even use mine as a hand wrapper quite offen.
Look at it this way. Later on down the line you always can upgrade to something else and put this one on the for sale page.You can't lose either way. Go for it and enjoy !!! <<<<< DON AT HOBBYRODS >>>>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2008 04:44PM by Donald Newenhouse.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2008 05:00PM

It was less expensive to buy the regular unit with the plastic chuck AND buy the aluminum chuck as a separate item. Not only do you save a few bucks, but you end up with a spare plastic chuck PLUS two spare belts PLUS a spare set of rubber jaw covers.

Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 05, 2008 11:15PM

Al,

@#$%& has the pacbay wrapper with the upgraded chuck for $299.00 Nice price and their shipping is actual costs. Nice people to buy from to boot!!

Date: June 06, 2008 02:51PM

Can anyone suggest any other website to buy from? Maybe any other forum sponsors? Ive checl @#$%&, Mudhole and a few other but they are all out of stock

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 06, 2008 03:25PM

From what I understand, PcBay is behind and everyone is backordered. You might give Bob McKamey (Custom Tackle), he may have one!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster