I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One more Q on micro guides
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 01:23PM

Sorry to keep asking but I haven't used these before. Do most of you use the Forhan Lock Wrap on them or due to their lower height is there less chance of snagging them and ripping them out of the wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One more Q on micro guides
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 01:38PM

I recommend using the Forhan locking wrap because with the feet being shorter, there is less wrap holding them to the blank. But I have cut back to using 2 follow up wraps just because I think it looks better.

Also on 2.5mm guides and smaller you can only use 2 locking wraps. Past that it tends to put the wrap right at the eye allowing epoxy to creep up onto the ring.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:07PM

It all depends - if the rod is for yourself and you don't normally have a problem with guides pulling out of single wraps, then no, you may not need them at all.

However, if you're building for someone else - someone whose fishing and rod handling habits you're not totally familiar with, why not go ahead and build in all the durability you can. I would think that nothing could ruin a rod builder's reputation much more quickly than having a customer or customers telling others that your custom rods don't hold up; that they lose their guides easily. This may not be the case and usually it's rough handling that causes such a thing, but most fishermen are never going to chalk that up as the reason they lost a guide or two. I'd go ahead and use it the Forhan Wrap that reason - you don't know how that rod's going to be handled.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:08PM

Ken,

I used a locking wrap and left off the blocking wraps behind the guide. After seeing how much better the guide was held in place (before finishing) with a few locking wraps without blocking wraps, I can't see an issue with pulling the guide out, unless you have a rod locker and make some effort to do so. If, like Steve, I were building for others than myself in the bass crowd, blocking wraps would be a safe bet.

If I ever run into a problem, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

I know that Tom mentions in his book about using blocking wraps. He doesn't mention using the Forhan locking wraps. It seems to me that the idea of the blocking wrap is to put some material behind the guide to keep it from pulling out as "easily". Now, in my mind, using a few locking wraps around the guide foot should accomplish a similar task, and hold the guide down a little better than the blocking wraps alone. My question is, if using the locking wrap, is there really a lot to gain by adding a few blocking wraps? Keep in mind, I'm talking about light freshwater and bass rods here. Has anyone with a number of rods in the "wild" compared the number of guide pull outs with locking wraps with blocking wraps, vs. locking wraps with no blocking wraps? Just trying to learn the finer points of when and why we do the things we do.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:31PM

Never had a guide pull out with a locking wrap and no blocking wraps. Even on a rod locker. Bent yes, pulled out, no. Regardless of entering or exiting the rod locker.

On a side note, I find the spiral wraps easier to get in and out of the rod locker. I put my rods in reel up. Having the top guides on bottom lets it slide right in.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:44PM

Blocking, or security wraps, by themselves do offer some additional measure of protection against guide pull-out, but not anywhere near what the Forhan wrap does - it almost makes the guide impossible to tear off the rod. Night and day difference.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.physics.kent.edu)
Date: June 04, 2008 02:52PM

Thanks guys!

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 03:16PM

I use one under, two locks and two blocks. These wild East Texas boys down here have yet to pull one out on 50 plus rods.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:23PM

Does PG, which I use on rods light enough for micro guides, serve to "glue" the guide in when it soaks through the thread?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: June 04, 2008 05:02PM

Marty - what do you mean on "rods light enough for micro guides"?

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: June 04, 2008 07:04PM

Bobby Feazel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use one under, two locks and two blocks. These
> wild East Texas boys down here have yet to pull
> one out on 50 plus rods.

I do the same. No problems yet!

Chuck

Posted by: mike harris (96.33.86.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 10:01PM

I did manage to rip a guide off with a Forhan locking wrap, but it took a very special set of circumstances.
1. Lay down rod to net a fish for partner.
2. Pick up rod only to discover 1oz tungsten weight solidly wedged in rocks, and 50lb
braid wrapped around guide.
3. At same instant partner kicks trolling motor to high bypass.
When it let go it sounded like a .22 going off. I guess it goes to show that Bass fishermen, even ones who should know better can break anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster