I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bumps in Finish
Posted by: Harold Krause (199.67.131.---)
Date: June 02, 2008 04:13PM

Hey All,

I know this has been asked many times, but I just want to be sure. If I have "bumps" on my wraps from trim band ends and such sticking out of my final wrap, can the CP and finish still be applied? As I understand, I can CP then put on one coat of finish (Flex Coat Regular) let dry. Then take sand paper or an emery board and sand the bumps down flush and then add second coat...is that right? Will the second coat cover the sanding marks, or do I have to buff smooth before applying the second coat? I know now to use cuticle cutters, but I don't have any. I am fairly new to this and even though I'm careful, I still seem to get tag ends that stick out slightly. I used a lighter, but that just turned them from a fuzzy bump to a hard bump.

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bumps in Finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2008 05:04PM

Better tie-off technique will most easily solve your problem, but that's easier shown than told so let's skip it for the time being (it's covered in a pictorial in a past RodMaker issue if you want to look it up).

In your case I'd apply the coat of CP, let it dry and then take a fresh single edge razor blade and carefully slice off the offending nub. If you're careful, you'll be okay at that point and can simply apply finish as usual, needing to do nothing else.

If you're not applying CP, then you'd apply a coat of epoxy, slice the nub and recoat. But that's a lot of trouble (and possibly extra finish) just to get rid of a nub.

Posted by: Bill Lane (165.24.249.---)
Date: June 02, 2008 05:08PM

Harold. If you mean by "bumps" the unevenness of surface from tag ends and such under the thread, you don't need to do anything. They are normal and your finish will level over the top causing them to disappear completely. Those kinds of "bumps" cannot be and don't need to be sanded out! If you go into your threads, you will have serious issues. Other bumps may show up after your first coat dries. Sometimes a tag isn’t flush and sticks up, or an air bubble comes to the surface when you are not looking. These bumps can be carefully shaved prior to the next coat of finish. I think sanding is only done when something has gone SERIOUSLY wrong. If you fish eye, empty a dust pan on wet finish, etc.. In those cases, Epoxy finishes will level over sanding marks by themselves. Do Not buff! You may get fisheyes or even worse, the heat will loosen finish and give you goo. Hope that helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2008 07:11PM by Bill Lane.

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2008 09:04PM

Thanks guys,

Bill, it is the tag ends from the pull throughs of the thread (not really the over all waviness). I’m not advanced enough to do any kind of “fancy” wraps, though I am working on them. I like to use very little finish. I use the least amount I can get away with. The little knobs are from the pull through threads that always leave feelable bumps on my finished wraps (after final coat).
I can tell, from this rod’s wrap, I will have the same result. I was just wondering if those little “tag” end bumps you get (or at least I get) can be sanded smooth and finished over again. And if so will the second coat hide the sanding marks or do I need to buff them? I am talking a VERY light sanding to smooth a light coat of finish over a small tag end/feelable bump. I do know not to get into the threads. I just want to hide the “bumps” from being feelable?

Mr. Kirkman…I know I need to improve my skills. You do understand what I’m asking. This is only my fourth rod. I can foresee this happening again (as it has on the other 3 I built) just trying to get a better finish on this one (and future ones).

Thanks again for your help.

Posted by: Bill Lane (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2008 11:09PM

I frequently have the same problem with nubs. I just carefully shave them off with a very sharp blade after the first light coat. The second coat levels fine. Again, I wouldn't sand unless I had way more serious problems. Then just wipe the wraps clean with a coffee filter and recoat. No solvent or rubbing. The sanding marks will level and go away. After all, we are talking fine (400 or finer) sandpaper, right?

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2008 04:56PM

Harold,

If you'll use the search feature, and use Thread Nubs, You will find a wealth of information on preventing these pesky critters. I'll give you this one that works for me which I gleaned from these hallowed pages. Insert your tie off loop a little earlier than you currently do. Maybe 4 or 5 wraps. When you finish the whrap and put the tag through your loop, pull your loop down tight to, but not under the end of the wrap. Then use your scalpel / razor blade / thread (cuticle) nippers and trim the tag close to the tie off loop, press your thumb tightly down on top of where the thread will slide under, then pull it through. WHAHLAH!!!! NO NUB!!!!! Disclaimer: If you do happen to get a very slight one, make sure you brush out and unravel the nub before torching, then burnish and those plastic BLOBS won't happen, and be hidden under the threads. Tom, sorry for the use of band width!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster