I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High Double footed guides
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 02, 2008 08:24AM

hey well this goes with my 'offshore spinning rod" thread on page 2

pretty much im looking for some advice on guides to use, at the moment i am wanting somethign that will last a long time with 30lb braid screaming over the guides under pressure so probably Sics even though funding is tight.

the blank is probably goign to be a GUSA B78M

im looking at matching it to a shimano Stradic 4000 or maybe a Daiwa Advantage 3500

could i use single foots? i really like the look of them and prefer to use them whenever practically possible. so is it possible. maybe use the TATSG because im thinking they would be a bit more forgiving with flexability. am i way off?

or would i use something like HVSG high doubles as transition then running size 10 fly or casting guides, (prefer fly for weight savings)

if i was to use single foots i think id underbind and overbind the transitions and maybe use a Y frame stripper compared to the TATSG mainly because i think 25 wont be near big enough.

Maybe HVSG stripper with correct size according to what reel i choose, then TATSG transitions and size 10 running fly guides?

would that work?

i am a complete noob when it comes to building heavier rods so please help

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Double footed guides
Date: June 02, 2008 08:26AM

ofcourse this is all depending if i can get guides to match with frame colors

grr lol

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2008 09:02AM

I would use the New Guide Concept System as outlined in the article in the online library here. I'd use high frame double foot spinning guides for the butt and intermediate guides and then either fly type single foots, wrapped with the Forhan Locking Wrap, or double footed low frame casting guides for running guides.

Posted by: ray sheker (---.255.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2008 10:44AM

i'd use a double foot stripper HVSG then move to YSG then LSG or LDBSG for running guides

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 02, 2008 12:00PM

If you want to keep the budget a little lower, look into the American Tackle A-frame lateral braced guides. They are single foot with their best ring material (Nanolite) which is rated just under SiC. I rarely use fuji guides anymore, unless I they are requested. To me the justifiable cost to performance just isnt there anymore. I personally think you are just paying more for the Fuji name when it comes to guides with technology getting better and better. HOWEVER, that is MY personal opinion.

On that blank, It will come down to what you like the best and how it performs for you.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2008 03:12PM

"To me the justifiable cost to performance just isnt there anymore. I personally think you are just paying more for the Fuji name when it comes to guides with technology getting better and better"

Don't think I could have said it any better!
except I prefer Batsons

Date: June 03, 2008 12:33AM

hmm seems like my two options are as follows

HVSG stripper then YSG then LSG

or

AMTAK TiTANs

NIA single foots then NIF fly running guides

want to try and save as much weight as possible.

ofcourse using NGC set up

Date: June 03, 2008 06:36AM

also, what size running guides should i use that will pass 50lb leader knots without to much hassle.

im thinking 10 as stated above

90% of teh time itll be 20lb leader but some pretty nice structure over here reefs etc so at stages might have to go to 50lb

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 03, 2008 10:27AM

in that case Tom stop @ 10mm, the knot will pass through a 8mm but it woudl be like passing a kidney stone !

for future reference i was told that the TATSG's where designed to be fished no heavier than 4kg / 10lb line mark..dont know how true this is but i woule persoanlly stick to it...

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Date: June 04, 2008 02:26AM

Would Batsons VS3 guides hold up and be strong enough?

its a 6-15lb blank that will have say 20lb braid run through it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster