I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loctite 6 minute epoxy gel for epoxy ramps?
Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 03:00AM

I bought this at home depot today. I figured it would work well to make some epoxy ramps. What do you think and does anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2008 03:01AM by Scott Lamb.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loctite 6 minute epoxy gel for epoxy ramps?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2008 09:20AM

Personally, I recommend sticking with proven products designed (or at least tested) for the rod building industry. I am not going to say it won't work ... But do you REALLY want to be the guy to find out it doesn't?

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 31, 2008 09:43AM

Hi Scott,

My concern with that epoxy is the time, 6 minutes does not give much time to work it. Maybe some of the guys that do ramps all the time could build them within the 6 minutes but if your new at doing them 6 minutes may not be enough time.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 11:21AM

If you have never done a ramp 6 min.'s will give you trouble the first time or two. Practice on some wood dowels or scrap blanks first, then when you feel comfortable doing ramps do your rod. Remember 6 min.'s is not long so you can do several ramps in a very short time!
The gel will work just fine I still prefer the regular Devcon 5 min epoxy.

Don't forget keep the rod spinning the entire time and a little extra time to keep from getting sags.

One last thought remember to leave the ramp shy of the finished height, so you can finish off with thread or paint or a coat or two of regular finish.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 11:31AM

I use the Flex Coat 5 minute. Like Tim suggested, it may take you a time or two to get it down "pat", but once you do, 5 min is PLENTY of time. And....if the ramp stinks, CUT it off with a razor blade while it's still somewhat soft, sand down what you need too (not much if any!!) and do it again......dont ask me how I know! :-)

DR

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 01:17PM

Thanks everyone. I will stick with the proven products and practice a bit before working on the rod.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 01:53PM

Scott,

It's real easy, dont sweat doing one, just do it. Even if you dont like the results, see above, they're easy to "re-do" when still warm.

DR

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 07:06PM

i was experimenting with some ramps today and i was thinking to myself, "there must be some type of epoxy i can buy at lowes for cheaper than rodbuilding epoxies." let us know how it turned out.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 07:08PM

Epoxy is epoxy is epoxy. Don't be arobot and never stop thinking outside the box - this craft has been stuck in teh mud for way too long in that respect. Look at Embroidery thread, until recently, teh majority of builders only considered Nylon or NCP. Fortunately, someone went out on a limb to test out thread not ment fo rRodbuilding, and ended up revolutionizing the industry. lol.

Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 10:58PM

I dont agree. Epoxy is not Epoxy. How well they fair against WATER will be the proving factor cos the box stores also sell marine epoxy that sells for more than rod building epoxy. Do your tests or just go fishing on sunny days.

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2008 03:09PM

About 15 years ago I saw a presentation at a RodCrafters seminar where the presenter used U40 ROD BOND. He first added a tint to it to make it the color he wanted then made a Winding Check on a rod. It worked good. Good for those of us who: want a little different winding check, who want to make a thread ramp, who forgot to put a winding check on the rod and only realized it after the guides were wrapped on the rod ;>)

Kerry

Posted by: Loo Peng Leong (203.125.84.---)
Date: June 04, 2008 04:47AM

you can try adding some alcohol to the 5 min epoxy... it would make it more fluid and extend the pot life by may be 5 more mins... but 5 mins epoxy sure stinks and smell bad. But beware of bubbles if you dont intend to wrap over the ramp...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster