I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Lakles Dipsey Rod Blank
Posted by: jeff miller (---.amerhonda.com)
Date: May 31, 2008 12:13AM

Looking for blank sugestions for a 7ft blank for braided line dipsey rod (30lb)

I made one with the Batson SWB series and find it a little on the stiff side.

Thinking I might try a Batson SWS or RCL.anyone build a dipsey rod with these blanks?

I did build a few with the Mudhole glass blanks and really like the action on those. I don't recall the model but they came in Black or a white that faded into pink. I would like to find a blank that is not as bulky.

More food for thought, I have built several rods with the Batson SPG and they are to soft and was told by a builder that the Batson RDR blanks are about the same action as the SPG.

Although I am very satisfied with Batson I am open to other brands.

Thanks
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Lakles Dipsey Rod Blank
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 11:17AM

I've not built on the SPG models but I use the RDR series for diver rods on the Columbia for salmon and they are fabulous. The right combination of moderate action, forgiveness with butt strength and durability. I would think they would make excellent diver rods for your application. They are a great value so you can build a couple of test models very economically. The blanks in your line range are 8 1/2' however. I always prefer a longer rod for trolling applications but your choices may differ.

I use the lighter models for kokanee fishing and also have excellent luck with them.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2008 11:41AM

I've build several of the RDR's for dipseys and the users like them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 31, 2008 11:20PM

I've not used this blank for what you want, but I'd start my search of the SWS Rainshadows at the SWS70MH. If the line rating listed match anything like the 597's that I've used alot it would work I think. Nice, light, pleasant blanks also for their power.

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.choiceone.net)
Date: June 02, 2008 11:46AM

7' is really short for a dipsey rod....

Posted by: jeff miller (---.amerhonda.com)
Date: June 03, 2008 12:31AM

Thanks for the replies I will just try a SWS and hope it works.

Joel,
I started with 8.6ft Diawa Heartland rods for dipsey's. After building a couple of 7ft rods for wire line and 2 - 7ft and 2 - 6.6ft rods for downriggers I can honestly say I will never go back to long rods. At this point I wish I could find a replacement for my 8.6 leadcore rods, hopefully in the 8ft range. But that will have to waite till I finish my second set of diver rods.

This is one adictive hobby, anyone want to buy some 8.6 and 9ft store rods?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 08:02PM

A few fellows I met in Ontario a few years ago were building some very nice 7 ft downrigger rods and they weren't sharing a bit of information.
They had a decent business with the locals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster