I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

covering / filling blank butt or not
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 10:24AM

Is there any reason that I can't think of as to why it'd be necessary to use a butt cap or cork plug to fill the end of a blank rather than to leave the hole exposed? I'm having a difficult time with smooth transitions to butt caps at the end of carbon fiber handles.. that's why I am asking.

Rods are bass / walleye rods that will be fished from boats so they shouldn't be getting dirt and the like jammed up the blank. They look fine and without a butt cap that's just one less thing to add for weight - is that reasoning wrong?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: covering / filling blank butt or not
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 30, 2008 11:02AM

Even with bass fishing, the butt of my rod has been known to dig into my stomach, especially on a longer handle. I'd think no butt cap might be uncomfortable.

Another thought that comes to mind is that the butt cap could protect the end a little from being chipped or what not if there was some rough use.

Also, what about if it rains? With no butt cap, water could freely run up inside the blank. Might not be a big deal, but just a few random thoughts.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (146.229.128.---)
Date: May 30, 2008 01:10PM

Are you fitting the butt cap into the handle? If not, you could leave a foam cap a bit proud and round the edges. I think that looks good. If my rods didn't have big butt caps my ribs would break.

Anthony

Date: May 30, 2008 02:17PM

The foam core handle extends 1/16" from the end of the blank. It's rounded (the carbon sock covered foam grip) at the end so there's no bare blank sticking out past the foam. The butt grip on this particular rod is 7" long. The handle would be resting along the forearm rather than against the ribs I would think.... unless a flathead hits.

Just having a dickens of a time with the sock material on edges lately. First couple went on pretty nice but here lately I've wasted a lot of material by getting bulges and wrinkles. Just have to keep messing with it.

I hadn't thought of water getting into the blank as Alex mentioned though.

Thanks

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 30, 2008 03:24PM

If you look in the last issue of Rod Maker Magazine at the “hot handle” article that will pretty much answer your questions!

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: May 30, 2008 03:37PM

So long as the bottom edge is protected from damage I think there would be little harm in leaving it open. Unless it stays outdoors and a wasp decides to build a nest!!

Date: May 30, 2008 04:02PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you look in the last issue of Rod Maker
> Magazine at the “hot handle” article that will
> pretty much answer your questions!

Googrief... that magazine was sitting right here on the desk. Even though I've read the article a couple of times I didn't think of it while messing with this handle. You're right, that pretty much covered my question!

Thanks much

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 05:47PM

I have been using Zipp carbon fiber bar end plugs for my carbon grips. They are made for cycling and can be found in either local bike shops or online. They come in a two pack for around 10, and they look pretty good, I'll post a pic tonight.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Scott Gadsby (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 06:25PM

Great tip Scott! The Zipp ends are just what I was looking for, thanks.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 06:29PM

No prob. I got the idea from Rich Gassmann. Well at least the idea of using Cycling end plugs, took a while to find the Zipp ones.

Here's a few pics

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2008 06:58PM by Scott Sheets.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2008 06:56PM

For the most part, butt caps and plugs are partly cosmetic and partly intended to protect the end of the blank from damage, within reason. If you're not worried about either of those, then leave it off or do something different.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 02, 2008 07:02PM

Here is a link to another solution, "Butt Plugs".

[www.schneidersrods.com]

We use them whenever we want some protection and finished look to the end of a butt grip,
fits up inside the end of the blank and flush to the end of the grip.
Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster