I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spar Varnish on Thread / Or Epoxy
Posted by: Paul Asbell (---.esedona.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 10:53PM

I was curious how many like using spar varnish on there thread wraps, decals, or if you like using epoxy better. It seems that more coats are required to have a smooth finish with varnish. What is a good brand of spar varnish to go with? Is it a good choice over epoxy?

Thanks

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spar Varnish on Thread / Or Epoxy
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 02:10AM

Good Evening Paul,
If you need to read more about Spar Varnish, try Googling Golden Witch or bamboo rods. Bamboo rod makers favor Spar varnish over modern finishes. Spar Varnish has a much lower viscosity than epoxy finishes. The learning curve for applying it is much easier. To achieve a nice finish five to seven coats are needed. Varnish will never get the very high gloss of a high build epoxy finish. The cons for varnish is that it isn't as durable as epoxy and a rod will need to be revarnished every 3-5 years depending on use.

An epoxy finish has a much higher viscosity and requires more learning to apply it correctly, but is more durable and often requires only one coat. Many epoxy finishes darken over time.

A third type of finish is PermaGloss, a water catalyzed urethane finish. It has the viscosity of varnish and can be applied as easily as varnish. It is harder than epoxy, remains flexible at both high and low temperatures. It is also as or more durable than epoxy. It has two major drawbacks. First, it requires 4-5 coats and gives a more satin finish rather than a gloss finish. Second, you must protect PermaGloss from moisture since the curing process requires water as a catalyst. Once you open a container, it must be kept moisture free or it will begin to cure and the entire bottle will become solid. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Paul Asbell (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 07:15AM

Thank you Mike for sharing. I have tried many epoxies, and realized alot of the problem is me. Applying epoxy is a practiced art it seems, and while I am getting better at the learning curve, I agree with you regarding viscosity. I like the application of the varnish better, but have always believed I would not get a glossy finish as I do with epoxys. I like using Pernagloss, and yes it sets up very quickly in the bottle, a problem I wish that the co. would continue to address with the packaging, especially the glass and lid. Thanks again for helping. Paul

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 09:32AM

There is a can that you can use to store your PermaGloss. It has a screw punched into the side. near the bottom. Once you open a bottle of the stuff, pour the rest into the can. It keeps for nearly ever, quite usable. Some of the sponsors sell the can but off the top of my head I can't think who just now.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 09:50AM

Good Morning all,
If you contact Joe Kassuba at His Rodshop, he can either sell you a can or tell you where he obtains his.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2008 05:03PM

Why does the can work for storage? There is still airspace in the top of the can, right? Seems like it would still cure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster