I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why not adhesive that fails at 200 farenheit?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 02:44PM

Given the trouble we have in removing glued on reelseats and grips, I wonder why there's no manufacturer that produce glue for rodbuiding which is designed to fail at 200 degrees farenheit. Since most rods won't be subjected to that temperature under normal use, the glue would hold. Then when one wants to remove it, just boil the part and the glue will release.

Is this that difficult to do?

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why not adhesive that fails at 200 farenheit?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 02:48PM

I'd say Mo that the sun can take rod temps pretty high with dark or black grips and such. In the summer here in VA I have an outside temp guage probe that sees sunlight in the late afternoon, and sometimes the probe reachs 150 degrees and it's VERY small and WHITE in color. Just my guess.....

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 29, 2008 02:49PM

Generally, manufacturers make adhesives for permanent mounts - rods shouldn't have to be disassembled and most never are. In fact, the last thing most builders want is any chance that an adhesive might "let go" at an inopportune moment.

I know that on rare occasions a builder will make a mistake and need to remove a seat or something, but I doubt many adhesive manufacturers are going to see that as a great market for what would, for them, be a considerable investment. Keep in mind, that even today only two adhesive products we use have been created specifically for use on fishing rods - RodBond and Ultimate Gel. Rod building is not a large market in the terms viewed by major adhesive manufacturers.

Now you have one other option - hot melt glue. It's made in a number of varieties and some will certainly withstand 200F. It's something you might look into, or, you could just take greater care before gluing things up. This isn't a knock on you or your assembly, just a reminder to "measure twice and cut once."

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 29, 2008 02:52PM

I use hot melt glue designed for arrows on my tip tops. Considering what the arrows are designed to do, adn they do not come loose - you might be able to get away with installing butt caps with it. It's not worth it to do with reel seats.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 04:37PM

Descriptions of various hot melt adhesives can be found at the following link: Moe the ones called "High Temp" like the ones Flexcoat sells provide a much highter temp than you note and are easily removable without any damage. The expoxy systems with set times higher than about 5 minutes do not provide the quick release needed by rodbulders.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: May 29, 2008 05:39PM

I could have used that glue a few days ago.....lol

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2008 05:46PM

I don't use it on handles, but have been using High temp hot glue for the last three years on tips, and have yet to have a one come loose

Date: May 29, 2008 06:53PM

Gudebrod Ferrule Cement was a hot melt type and for years it was used on everything from tiptops to reel seats to butt caps. It worked reasonably well in those capacities but due to its early technology tended to get brittle and turn to dust over many years. Modern hot melts are much better, of course.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2008 04:12AM

The purpose of this question is not to correct errors or take off other people's work. It's more an issue of my own work where if someone comes to have a broken rod replaced, I would simply take off the components and put them on a new blank of the same specification. That's an issue simply because of the work that goes into some grips.

Mo

Date: June 01, 2008 09:05AM

In that case, you can cut off the blank just ahead of the handle and usually bore the blank out of the grips or handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster