I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Steel mandrels for turning cork
Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 08:10PM

Any sources of where i can get these? Suppliers in Canada?

Calvin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Steel mandrels for turning cork
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 08:14PM

Calvin,
Lamar Fishing, one of the sponsors makes them. You can also buy drill stock and ask machine shop to cut and thread the irst inch of it. I have done this for sizes that Lamar Fishing did not carry. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 08:14PM

Lamar doesn't sell direct but Fishsticks4U on the left carries their mandrels and will ship to Canada, I believe

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2008 08:15PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 08:17PM

If you buy stock what do you use to hold it in the lathe?

Do you run it with the tapered stock on one end and secure it with a chuck or jacobs on the other?

If so, does it matter what kind of taper you put on the stock?

Calvin

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 09:00PM

Calvin;
You don't need the stock tapered. None of the mandrills you buy are tapered. All the cork rings and prefinished grips have a straight hole through them.
Thread one end about an inch or so as Michael said, chuck the other end in a Jacobs Chuck. You will want the machine shop to center drill the threaded end for your live center tail stock. You will also need a set collar on the mandrill as a stop for the cork, put a nut and washer on the threaded end against the cork to hold it tight enough to shape as it turns.

Posted by: Ron Petley (---.hsc.mb.ca)
Date: May 25, 2008 09:59PM

Calvin:
You can buy any size of drill rod from Fastenall in Canada, if you want to make your own.
Cheers Ron.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 10:27PM

Fishsticks4u for Lamar Mandrills all the way !!!!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 10:28PM

This is what you want [www.rodbuilding.org] You can buy or make them. There is a small piece of copper/brass tube between the stock and nut or mandrel that allows you to turn or sand/shape the ends of the grips. The left end of the mandrel is in a chuck and the right end has a 60 degree cone in the end for a live center to fit in to.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 10:35PM

Calvin. I picked up mine from Reaction, which is Lamars canadian dist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster