I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reelseat Limitations
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 04:57PM

I'm wondering why we can't get some the reelseats that are being seen on many of the overseas rods. I know you can get Matagi stuff, but they're basically Fuji stuff painted or with EVA foregrip. Why can't we get the reelseats similar to what's on the Steez or some of the other JDM rods? Anyone know how to get them if I'm wrong?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reelseat Limitations
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 05:15PM

no way to get them. They are proprietary to the company that makes them.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: May 25, 2008 06:15PM

Aaron,

I share your frustrations. I have researched this extensively and they are simply not available to anyone outise the rod manufacturers.

Looks like we are stuck with Fuji, Pac Bay etc....

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 06:30PM

Stuck?

Not quite!

Also please read message about two piece reel seats on right side of web page - SOON!

[www.rodbuilding.org] - INSTOCK NOW

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2008 06:34PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: May 25, 2008 08:49PM

I'm not just talking about the split reelseats. I'm looking forward to factory split reelseats, but we've been getting by for quite a while making our own. I'm talking about things like this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

and this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

and this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

and this:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 09:24PM

Read the comments. Marco makes them himself. You can get whatever you want, mak it yourself.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 09:47PM

actually Markos friend makes alot of that stuf for him and he sells it.. for instance that aluminum piece in the front is $65 in this link..

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Still want to play?

Check out the new matagi stuff in his catalog it will blow you away.. he really stepped up and made alot of nice new stuff this year. Like i said to decorate a rod its going to be $100 you wanna play you gotta pay.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 25, 2008 10:08PM

The production trick reel seats on the JDM rods are all proprietary, mostly adaptations and modifications on existing designs. Marco's stuff, as mentioned before, is custom made for him. Some are standard seats with additional fittings. A lot of cool fittings are available from Matagi as well.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2008 08:12AM

Mud Hole sells many Matagi fittings but under the "Mud Hole" name. You can take a look and see what they have.

Many, not most, but many of the commercial rod manufacturers do use proprietary seats that aren't anything to wish after. Often they're built with eye appeal but lack good functionality and/or good ergonomics. Be careful what you shoot for.

Date: May 26, 2008 09:46AM

Ah man! Mostly stuff I already knew except I didn't realize Marco's stuff was custom by himself. It sure is cool stuff though! Wish I had those kind of skills.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 26, 2008 09:56AM

I understand the "eye candy" aspect of these new designs--they do look really, really cool. However, every time that I've ventured away from a basic Fuji seat, I've been at least a little disappointed in the functionality/ergonomics.

To be fair, it's been awhile since I've tried a new design, so take that last statement with a large spoonful of salt. I'm sure that many of the new designs--that I've not tried yet--are just as good as the basic Fuji design.

As a custom builder, though, I feel obliged to only use those tried and true reel seat designs that I'm SURE will work for the client (for a very long time).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster