I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snook Rod Recommendations
Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 09:05AM

Need spinning rod recommendations for a rod to be used to skip plastic/baits/shrimp under docks & mangroves for snook, seatrout & reds. What length, tip action, power size would you recommend. Will be using it with a 4000 series reel, 30lb braid, 30-40 lb flourocarbon leader.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snook Rod Recommendations
Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.34-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 10:37AM

Just got done builing two on Rainshadow IP845 blanks. I really like for livebait that I use. IF you are mostly using plastics you might want something les soft.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2008 10:38AM by Steve Edmondson.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 11:09AM

St Croix 4SW66MHF, the best IMO ... to save a few bucks, St Croix 3C66MHF.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 11:50AM

Your requirement for braid and line weights that high make this a tough request. A conventional popping rod or a fast action spinning rod for speckled trout rod may not meet your needs for powering heavy reds from cover. A following post indicates an 845 may be too stiff and powerful for the presentation desired. It may be that more than one rod would be needed to meet all of your requirements. I know the sea trout would appreciate a little more tender care!

The following blanks blanks can be found at under Castaway XP3:

[swamplandtackle.com]

1. Conventional popping rod 844P (the line wts and braid are not a good match - trout and small reds)

2. 805 and 813 (technique specific for action desired - with proper length for presentation - little more butt than popping - again lacking desired line ratings)

3. 874 (line ratings fine - a little long for pier work - power to burn - lower modulus softer tip for presentation) Take a look at the Details posted on the 874 - blank rated for braid very very interesting concept.

If we can be of assistance please use the Contact Us at the web site.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2008 01:00PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 11:59AM

I am in the process of building a lighter snook rod for the exact same application. The customer was on a fairly tight budget and I will be trying out the Mudhole IM6 12-25 blank. It seems to have a fairly soft tip which shuts off about 1/3 down. The 30 braid requirement is the kicker here. I will say its not the lighest blank out there, but on a budget I think it will work great. I'll let you know when I am done with it as things sometimes tend to change.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 25, 2008 03:07PM

Thanks for all the replies. I could go with less lb. on the braid since I'm using a pretty stout leader. Snook are pretty good at wrapping you around a barnacle encrusted pier & i thought a heavier braid would be the ticket.

Sean let me know what you thing once you get finished with that build.

Thanks,

Mike

PS: Does everyone think 6.6 is the length to use for skipping baits under piers?

Posted by: Albert Albano (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 03:08PM

I used 2 Rainshadow IP844's last week in Port Charlotte and they were perfect for snook. I also caught quite a few redfish on them and they had enough muscle for these too.

Posted by: Giorgio Peroldo (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 25, 2008 07:46PM

Where do you live??? Black Magic 15-30lb graphite blank, made by Chaos. Affordable too, about $40. I use a 4000 stradic and Tierra on mine with 25lb PP. 7ft. Best one I can think of for that.

Date: May 25, 2008 07:47PM

If you build anything longer than 6'6" you are going to get taken advantage of AND have a more difficult time skipping the lure/bait under the docks and mangroves. I use rods between 6'0" and 6'6", 10-20# to 12-25#, Fast Action ... at that length, the action is not an issue with casting baits. I suggest pairing with 20# braid and 30# leader. The real trick is to lift their heads and turn them before they can wrap ... when they do that, nothing will help you.

Posted by: Mike Clements (---.74.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2008 08:08AM

Giorgio,

I live in east central Florida around Cape Canaveral. Do you know what dealer handles Chaos blanks?

Date: May 26, 2008 09:09AM

Chaos is a rod builder, not a blank manufacturer ... they sell the blanks that they purchase for their own production. At one time, they were buying some of their blanks from Lamiglas under OEM production.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 26, 2008 11:30AM

Chaos currently or recently purchased Gator Glass blank manufacturing, as Jim said they got blanks as OEM from a couple of manufacturers
John

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 27, 2008 09:22AM

Mike, mudhole carries them in oviedo since you are close as I am, they are gator glass blanks rebadged under a different name. Shoot me an email (yours is hidden) and I would be happy to let you play with the rod a little once I get it done.

Posted by: Bryan McPherson (---.sip.pfn.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 27, 2008 10:32PM

I have not caught any snook but I built 5 rods on the castaway discount blanks at swamplands [swamplandtackle.com] . All five rods have seen the Jetties with 4000 reels on them and 25 lb power pro 30lb florocarbon leader. I fish 3 of these rods with a 1/2 oz carolina rig and the other two have berkely guld texas rigged on them check out my blog for pics that these rods are good for. [tbmfish.wordpress.com] scroll down to the title WHAT IS THAT? I think you will be impressed these rods are great for big fish and monster adreniline and if you were to catch a monster big enough to snap it you can afford to rebuild at the price lance is offering these great blanks just my 2 cents. A friend of mine has one of these rods I built that he skips docks with at night

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster