I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building heavy duty spinning popping rod
Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 01:26AM

I need some recomendations.

First, the blank is a 8 foot GUSA Wahoo. Guides are MNSGs by Fuji. Likely Alps reel seat or a Pac Bay heavy all aluminum slim spinning reel seat.

Purpose is to throw 1 1/2 ounce to 4 ounce topwater poppers and stickbaits to yellowfin tuna ranging from 50 to 150 pounds. Well, I want to land at least a 150 pounder. The reel is a stella 20000 and the line 65 pound spectra. Reel drag will reach 25+ pounds to fight the fish. I could use more, but need to stop a recent habit of breaking rods.

My biggest question is really concerning rod balance and weight distribution.. This rod only will be used for topwater lures and casting distance and fighting fish are the sole agenda. I want a comfortable, light, but yet functional rod. The weight distribution will likely be a significant issue. I really do not know what is considered a well balanced heavy duty casting rod. Is it better to have the weight axis in front of the reel, behind the reel, or at the reel? I am planning on mounting the reel with the center of the reelfoot 21 inches from the butt. I am planning a 10 inch foregrip. If I go with hypalon on the foregirp and EVA on the rear grip (I want to have the EVA taper, becoming thinner near the butt as I find this comfortable to cast. I feel I can form EVA better), the weight center of the rod may be in front of the reel. I am not sure I would like that for popping. I like hypalon for the foregrip only because I like its feel and I want a solid feel when fighting big fish. Perhaps I should just use EVA everywhere as I think the rod will be more balanced and very light. If the EVA wears, I will just have to learn how to fix the rod or add an overwrap in the future. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building heavy duty spinning popping rod
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 23, 2008 07:39AM

Scott, where do hold the rod while working the lure? On the foregrip, or splitting your fingers around the reel stem?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 08:14AM

The fish you note is a brute for popping and the blank you describe. In my world, the popping rods are used mainly for black fin and smaller yellows. Someone wanting tho challenge a big yellowfin would arm themselves with a standup or maybe even one of the new deep jiggers that are being introduced to the market. On most conventional blanks if you high reach when the big one decides to head down in a circle with may not take the load. Are you fishing in an open boat and water? If you are fishing around an oil platform or from a boat with a lot of customers nearby a shorter more powerful blank should be considered.

Date: May 23, 2008 08:50AM

Bill - standard Popping blanks for Tuna are all 7'6-8'6, many are 2-piece variety, rated 30-60# & 50-80#. The blank Scott is using has taken many 100# Tuna, and I know of one over 200#'s on jigs...granted it was conventional, but with Spinning reels made today are more than suitable for the task.

Jigging & popping are probably the largest growing niche in the fishing industry right now. It's just catching on here in the US the way it has in Japan, and it's rapidly growing every day.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 08:52AM

Billy V, I think I usually have the reel stem between my little and ring finger. However, sometimes I will have my hand just in front of the reel. I think it really depends a lot on the rod. That is why I thought of this question.

Bill S, don't tell everyone, but topwater yellowfin tuna fishing is becoming very popular. Put Owner 4X trebles on all your poppers and go get them. I have caught a 118 pounder on a Seeker blue steel EX CJB 65 H several years ago and a 130 pounder a couple weeks ago, all at the rigs. No worries about cutoffs as the tuna don't usually run to the rig. The fish are caught on party boats. The wahoo should do the trick very well. The Seeker I have bottoms out too soon on the bigger fish, especially if the fish gets behind the boat on the drift.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 09:00AM by Scott Lamb.

Date: May 23, 2008 09:19AM

You guys are probably right - With the price of diesel at the dock I guess all boats will end up party boats and drifting - When we run out of fuel and can find a tender to accept a bribe and tie up to at a rig and stay all night the poppers are the real deal - in the moonlight the flying fish, crashing tuna and the poppers are really a sight that all should see! Twin turbocharged 650s and $ 5.50 diesel are going to make jiggers and poppers out of a lot of well heeled blue water boat owners. Trolling all day will currently break any bank!

Date: May 23, 2008 09:47AM

Bill, it's not only in Tx-LA, jigging is red hot up in the CApe Cod area for BFT, CApe MAy NJ, and in HAtteras NC they are GRouper jigging like crazy. Not to mention many other areas along the ast Coast which I left out. The longer length Popping rods are goign to be very popular up in CApe Cod in particular, where tehy toss 1oz at BFT 30-75# on average.

Date: May 23, 2008 10:17AM

Billy I certainly cannot provide you with blackfin like you note - a big one for us is 18 - 20 Lb

But if the pictures of three fish on the same day by the same guy interest you give me a call before you buy your airline ticket to the Bahamas this year!

Bottom Dwellers:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

And drift line music by the Cajun Band the "HOOOOOO"

[www.rodbuilding.org]

PS Adddition:

If this Venice, La yellowfin decides to go under the platform - he gone!

[rodnreel.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 01:21PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 12:28PM

I am pretty sure that Billy was speaking of Bluefin Tuna ( bft ) and not Blackfin Tuna ( also BFT).

I am gearing up for a gulf trip in November too. My build is on the OTI 7.5 blank. I like the balance to fall right at the reel. Seems to me that in most cases, you need addl weight in the butt section to balance or need to move the reel up. Assume you will be putting a gimble on the butt and another nice item to have is a rod ring to hook up the ole harness when needed.

Date: May 23, 2008 12:51PM

[i2.photobucket.com] 172#'s on a jig, with the Wahoo, courtesy of Kil Song, the jigging machine. He's about 5'5, 140#'s, and 60 years old.

Mel makes a good point regarding moving the reel up to balance the rod - just keep in mind that you can go too far and the long butt will get in teh ay while casting, and fighting fish.

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.186-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 03:18PM

At 21" to center, I would think you would be very close to balanced with your plan. A couple larger spinning rods I have built are about 16" to center and I would say they are 4-5 inches from balanced under a split finger holding style. One is on an Accurate Twinspin 30 and the out of balance part really does not bother me at all. I think that is because when holding the rod I am typically not in the stance where perfect balance matters to me.... I'd like to see a pic of that rod when done though. sounds really nice.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 04:53PM

I looked up "popping rod" in the library and I don't think that definition applies to what you guys are talkin about. What is 'popping'?
Steven

Date: May 23, 2008 05:24PM

The "popper" referred to in this thread is the lure itself - topwater - popper scoop on front - big boy for large pelagics

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2008 06:42PM

Steve E, Thanks for the info. I will post pics when done. It is a cobalt blue blank and will have a silver gimbal, silver reel seat, blue, gold, silver, and yellow thread to match the reel. Should look hot and impressive.

Mel S, I have a couple OTIs rods. I am patterning the grips and reel seat positions very similar to thir 7 feet 6 inch popper rods as I find their rods cast well and have a nice balance. I believe the GUSA Wahoo is stronger, longer, and lighter. The Wahoo iis also proven in the past to handle big fish. These are the reasons I am building the GUSA Wahoo and Billy V has been very helpful and sells the GUSA blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster