I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The Pitman-Robinson Tax ?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2008 03:09PM

This showed up on another board. Anyone heard of this Pitman-Robinson Tax ? Is there something I'm missing ?
Jeff

shieldski wrote:
It's not too bad. Just have to sign up your business with the state to be able to charge tax. Then you have to sign up with the feds to get a federal tax ID and that's pretty much it. Then they send you quarterly forms to fill out, no biggie. Really depends, I'd say one rod a month or more would make it worth your while.

Jeff

Jeff, I believe you missed one tax.
The Pitman-Robinson act, imposes a tax on all fishing tackle and gun manufactures. I know of some custom gun builders that have gotten their tit caught in that particular wringer.
I'm not sure what the deal is on custom rod builders, but I think yall have to pay the tax too.
For guns its 11%.

The IRS collects it, so they would probably be the ones to check with, to see what you got to do.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.

Shieldski Customs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Pitman-Robinson Tax ?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2008 03:27PM

The original bill passed to tax sporting equipment is called the Pitman-Robinson Act. Later it was revised by the Wallop-Breaux Amendment. Some folks even refer to it as "The Sportfish Restoration Act", which is actually legislation that directs HOW the funds are spent/distributed among other things. Regardless of the name used to refer to it ... it is all one and the same for OUR purposes and reported on the Form 720 Excise Tax.

This is the simplified version ... but regardless, I hope this helps.

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2008 03:44PM

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. That's just what I needed.

Jeff

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2008 04:05PM

The Pittman-Robinson tax pertains to hunting and firearms. The tax that rod builders face was originally called Dingall-Johnson, later the Wallop-Breaux and more lately just the Sportfish Restoration Act. The last incarnation added some boating items.

There is an article on it in the online library here.

Posted by: Ted Culin (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 05:42PM

If you look in the Library on this site there is a good article on calculating the tax and the 60% rule

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 11:54PM

The excise tax is no longer calculated as in the past. The tax is $10.00 per rod whether you sell it for $20.00 or $1000.00.

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: May 23, 2008 11:54PM

The excise tax is no longer calculated as in the past. The tax is $10.00 per rod whether you sell it for $20.00 or $1000.00.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 24, 2008 12:07AM

If I'm not mistaken, the $10 is a cap on the tax, NOT the tax. The tax is still 10% of 60% with a MAXIMUM of $10. If you sell a rod for $100, the tax due is $6 If you sell one for $120, the tax due would be $10

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 24, 2008 02:05PM

The tax is a tricky beast ... to a degree. I would recommend reading the full article in the library.

Some "twists" kick in IF you purchase goods directly from the manufacturer under an exemption OR if you sell to a reseller and not to the end user. The basics aren't bad - file every quarter on Form 720 and send the $$$.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster