I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Father of Marbling?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.coi.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 09:04AM

I was looking at the photo page last night and am constantly amazed at the talents some of you have with your marbling and painting skills. About ten or fifteen years ago there was a guy who did this sort of thing and I think he was here in Florida. I used to see his ads in the Florida Sportsman magazines and the company was called 'Rods by Dru.' That was it, just Rods by Dru. Does anyone know if this guy is still around and if he was creating his rod art the same way? Just curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Father of Marbling?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 09:31AM

The first marbleing posts on this board were done by "Jason" with the picture of his blue marble posted on the older Photo Board linked to the site. The internet forum communications would not have been in operation 15 years ago to spread the word and technique like has occurred in the past five or so years.The dates for his postings were approximately 2001 - 2002 - I THINK! You recollection of ten or fifteen years ago would certainly predate any thing I have seen. If Dru happened to be first and is still breathing he should take a bow!

Bill Stevens

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: May 21, 2008 09:41AM

Just Google "Dru custom rods" and you'll get some info on him, and an e-mail address.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 09:45AM

I have a customer that has rods built by Dru. All of his rods are trolling rods at least all the ones I've seen and were built on white blanks but not sure of the brand. A few years ago my customer had me build some stand up rods wanting me to duplicate his chevron wraps. As far as I know he's still building rods but I've never heard of him doing any kind of marbling. He's been described to me as "Kind of a laid back hippie". The rods I've seen of his were built using the finest components and his wraps and finish were flawless.
If you'd like his phone no. I could get it , just email me privately for it. I won't put it on the board.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2008 11:18AM

"Rods by Dru" were marbled, or painted, or something. I remember those advertisements and to this day they stick out in my mind.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2008 11:58AM

Maybe they were tie-dyed.............

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 08:36PM

Another validated contributor to evolution of the swirls!

"Psychoing"

Short for Psychedelic Rods

JB Rods - Virginia Beach, Va July 1995

Now we know why he turned out the way he did!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2008 10:39PM

Andy Warhol abd Jackson Pollack.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 22, 2008 08:32AM

Rods by Dru were "splatter painted". Not quite marbling, but the blanks were painted by throwing colours on the rotating prepped blank. Created unique patterns, even when the same colours were used.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: May 22, 2008 01:42PM

I hope that I'm not incorrect in thinking that Charles "Jason" Brown is the father of marbling on custom rods. In my marbling DVD in the credits, I'd given him that honor using those same words. No one has emailed or called yet to correct that, anyhow.

Bill "Swampman" Stevens hit it right on the head as far as I know with what he said in his post above about him (Jason) being the first to throw pictures up of his marbling work. I still have the picture Bill spoke of printed out and hanging above my rod bench.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2008 04:17PM

We can't know if he was the first, although it's not hard to say that he was the first to publicize the technique with photos of his work. He may well have been the very first, but even if he wasn't, he was the first to post photos of the technique. So if nothing else what he did and when he did it is documented.

I can't recall what might have appeared on the old Moment of Fame site prior.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: May 24, 2008 02:39PM

I don't know who started it.....but Putter's pretty hard to beat in my book....

Steve Buchanan
Steve's Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster