I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lighter Material than standard PVC for shipping tube?
Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.512k-pppoe.bba1.sky.gwtc.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 09:56AM

I just finished my first full-sized rod since deciding to take the plunge into rod-making. Now I have a question...I'm shipping this one and, given shipping costs, would like to use a thinner-walled pvc to ship it to my customer. Standard-issue pvc from "the big orange box" weighs so much, it's going to be prohibitive to ship it.

Any suggestions? It's a two-piece UL rod, so tube length shouldn't be more than 38". I've received shipments from sources in a couple different types of tube, but I can't seem to locate where to get them.

P.S. Thank you all for your willingness to share your hobby/profession with "the new guys!" I never would have had the guts to try this without the information and help.

-SN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lighter Material than standard PVC for shipping tube?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2008 10:27AM

IMO, the weight of the PVC pipe has very little bearing on the expense. Most times there is NO difference at all, simply due to "minimum weight" charges assessed due to length. I would never recommend shipping a finished rod in anything other than Schedule 40 PVC and with proper packing. Believe it or not, they actually even manage to break it sometimes ... so you can't only imagine what could happen to a less durable container.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2008 10:35AM

ABS pipe is lighter yet just as rigid if not more so. But as Jim said, the charges are usually based on size and most lengths being oversized the weight isn't really factored into things.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 19, 2008 10:39AM

That ABS stuff aparantly isnt' available in NY. It's the stuff with te black spiral inside of the thin white outer shell, right?

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 10:39AM

I use the Tenite tubing available from US Plastics for backpacking rod tubes, they are much lighter than PVC. They have a large assortment of sizes and end caps. I'm guessing that the cost of the Tenite will far outweigh the cost savings in shipping, but the end user would probably be more likely to use the Tenite as an everyday rod tube.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 10:57AM

Plastic gutter downspout works great with spinning rods and is thinner walled and lighter.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.171.167.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 11:11AM

Take a look at the DRAIN tubes with out the holes. It is at Lowes and Home Depot.

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 12:08PM

Spencer is absolutely right.

Plastic gutter downspout is the way to go. WHY? because it is much lighter and has a square cross-section, which resist bending far more the a circular cross-section.

Rena

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2008 02:03PM

How do you feel about having to rebuild the Rod?

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2008 03:30PM

The lighter PVC would be Sch-21 or 26 which can be hard to find in some places. The box stores might have at least up to 11/4 size and that tractor store I have seen up to 2" all of which are 10' length. The plastic downspout sections are great for surf or boat rods with large or roller guides.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 04:42PM

Plain ole PVC "SEWER PIPE". 1/2 the weight of PVC, yet still very strong, works like a charm and can be found about anywhere.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 04:46PM

The only thing is it is 4" ID.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 08:44PM

Bill B,

The sewer comes in 3" as well....perfect for a spinning rod. I never have used the 4"....too big!

DR

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 06:16AM

i am a truckdriver! simply put: better safe than sorry. if i were to ship a rod i would indeed pack very carefully. get insurace! get insurance! some dock workers could care less about the materials they are moving. pallets do bumped up against each other to get them on the trailers. sometimes pallet boards come loose, get splintered and then get pushed up into whatever is in front of them (that was seen yesterday). i believe i would do a bit of research on what shipping companies to use/avoid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster