I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NC Gathering
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2008 08:16PM

Thanks to all who attended. We had a great time. Lots of ideas were shared. I saw some nice rods and the best power wrapper i have ever seen. I want to thank Bill Stevens, Clyde, and Swampland for sending Pizza. That was a nice surprise. Thanks to Robbie Smith at Fishhawk Threads. There is not much thread left. Hope to do it again sometime.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NC Gathering
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2008 08:33PM

Like wise had a great time and learned some stuff, definitely worth the 214 mile trip. Also enjoyed watching Scott Parsons reactions to the rod he was working on

Same on the power wrapper that is one awesome setup.

Bill thanks also for the pizza!
There is some neat looking new threads coming out from Fishhawk the silver/blue and the gold/black really look sharp!

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 08:49PM

May I ask the name or builder of the best power wrapper?
Thanks

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 18, 2008 09:58PM

I had a blast and learned a lot from everyone. Thanks JP for hosting the gathering. Thanks to Bill Stevens and the guys for Swampland for the pizza. Also thanks to Robbie for the thread.
I think that that the builder of the power lathe was Doug Cox. I need to make one like that.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (204.116.125.---)
Date: May 18, 2008 10:15PM

JP, thanks for hosting the event and it was great to see the guys again and discuss rods and many other things. Bill thanks for the pizza, even though it had no shrimp on it I believe you and Lance would've enjoyed it as much as we did. Also thanks to Robbie for the thread.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 11:13PM

ANY gathering is a good gathering, when it comes to rodbuilders hanging out and shooting the breeze, exchanginging ideas, just for the cost it takes to get there.... wherever it be.(within reason) . Great to see the support from Fish Hawk on this. It takes individuals to make these work.

The NERBS sent live lobster and clam cakes for this event, but according to the tracking number, it was detained in Newark, NJ. If it ever shows up.....DO NOT EAT IT !!!!!!!

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 11:56PM

JP , thanks for putting this gathering of rod builders together . It was awsome meeting everyone and having them share ideas and show there custom rod work. Thanks to Bill Stevens and Swampland Rods for the pizza and wings, also you wife for the potato salad that was very good. Thanks to Robbie Smith at Fishawk you have a fan of your thread here.
The lathe that Doug Cox brought was amazing! I cant believe hes not a machinest by trade, he could have taken orders from Steve and JP
that would have kept him busy for some time.
Congrats to the drawing winner of the blank from Bill Stevens and Swampland, cant remember his name but Im sure he will post . Very generous of you guys to do that . I have some pics I'll try to post tomorrow. Again thanks for all the tips givin on surf fishing I'll put them to use this coming weekend. Sammy you should go with me, you need to wet a line.

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: May 19, 2008 07:27AM

JP-Thanks for putting this together and hosting it. It's great to be able hang out with other rod builders and talk a little shop-also great meeting some new guys. Another thanks to Bill for the food and Robbie for the thread.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: May 19, 2008 07:29AM

What a great time, After working with Tom and Steve and setting up my rod with the micro guides I was just amazed at how it casted. Thanks Bill for the Pizza and Wings and JP your Wifes Potato Salad was awsome also. Robbie a FishHawk threads thanks you too. Scott

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 19, 2008 09:05AM

I certainly enjoyed it. It was nice to see Doug's continued evolution with his lathe and the various carbon grips and woodwork being done by guys in this area.

If there was enough interest in more of this type of thing I have the perfect place right here - 8,000 square feet and you could easily cast a fly rod indoors. Two outdoor casting lanes, one about 250 feet long down the side of the building. It would lighten the load on anyone having to donate their garage or basement for a day.

Posted by: john pearce (65.54.154.---)
Date: May 19, 2008 09:29PM

i had a great time at the nc gathering yesterday. thank you jp for putting it together for us. there were lots of impressive rods and good discussion on a variety of topics. a special thanks to swampland rods, fishhawk thread and rodmaker magazine for their contributions. hopefully we can find a way to do this several times during the year.

looking forward to next time

john

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 07:56AM

OK Guys the Jig Is Up!

We have in our possession 13 emails stating that "I won the free XP3 blank at the drawing at JPs gathering on Sunday"!The last one to arrive was from Michael Joyce no less! The Swamp Boyz are not very smart but Clyde de Gator now requires the "Maker of the Wonderful Potato Salad" to officially notify us who is telling the truth to verify the actual winner!

Swamp Boyz

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: May 20, 2008 08:43AM

Doug - Where did you get that piece of aluminum for the base of your wrapper?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:03AM

Bill;
The problem was that JP couldn’t count past the number two. Scott Parson’s wife got number one and the rest of us got number two and two was drawn out of the hat.

So as far as we could figure, it is only far that each of us gets a blank.

Posted by: Mark J. Mire (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2008 09:37AM

Bill,

Pay no attention to that Yankee Steve Gardner! Or, any number of e-mails claiming any such...I WON THE SWAMPLAND BLANK.
You do know the "North" starts just the other-side of Monroe!
Just ask Timberlake!
And I'm thinking about wrapping the butt with one of Clyde's "friends".

~Mark

P.S. If you do send Gardner a blank, send him a "micro" blank with a spool of silk thread for a reel. A 100 mm blank should be about the right size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2008 09:57PM by Mark J. Mire.

Date: May 20, 2008 05:24PM

Bill, my email stated that "the XP3-905 is a winner," not "I'm the winner of an XP3-905"..lol . BTW, great job with the pizza and such, my delivery was returned today, theres something moving in it.....but it came from New Jersey, it cant be a live lobster. I think I'll let the dog open it!!!

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2008 10:34PM

Mike
Dont chance making the dog sick , I'll email you my ex wifes address and forward it there!

Date: May 20, 2008 11:17PM

.......shipped!!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster