I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trouble with labels
Posted by: Ronald Bastyr (---.unfiltered.dsl.wiktel.com)
Date: May 17, 2008 11:04PM

I am having trouble making labels I put on rods to stick. I have been using a Brothers label maker and when I put on the rod finish it causes the clear cover on the label to seperate from the under layer.. Does any one have any ideas? Can clear fingernail polish or some other clear finish be put on the edges to prevent it from curling ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trouble with labels
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.southslope.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 11:11PM

Yes some people use finger nail polish and some use CP.

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 11:55PM

I've used labels from the Brother machines and also from Kroy. What I do is to not handle them with my fingers at all. I'll use tweezers to hold them. Then I'll usually give them a spray with some clear Krylon.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2008 08:11AM

I'd recommend either CP or clear acrylic spray. Cover the label and make sure to get the edges as well. If you're using a black label, you may prefer the clear acrylic spray. For most anything else, CP is fine.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (12.213.112.---)
Date: May 18, 2008 09:13AM

I've found that CP will not hold the edges down well enough with the Brothers labels. I use clear finger nail polish and let it dry before I apply epoxy. I haven't tried the clear acrylic, but would imagine that it would leave a much smoother finish to apply epoxy over verses the finger nail polish. The epoxy seems to loosen the adheasive used to bind the top and lower labels that Brother uses, you have to seal the edges with something or they will lift on you.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 02:46PM

Apply the label the way you always do. Like Lou said don't touch the face of the label and make sure the edges are adhered to the blank by using the applicator that Brother supplies. I use a bodkin and apply a small line of Zap-a-Gap around the edge of the label. Next a layer of CP,you can also use Sally Hansen's hard as nails,but I prefer CP. Now you can apply your epoxy. Have had no problem using this procedure even on 2 wt. flyrods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2008 06:43PM by Don Lukehart.

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2008 02:03AM

I have used quite a few labels made with a Bother P-touch label maker and all I do is trim them with scissors making sure to round the corners off, after I put it on and use the roller on it I coat the whole label with CP and haven't had any problems so far. I've been using the Diamondite CP, I don't know if that makes any difference or not but I haven't tried any of the other brands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster