I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide selection help
Posted by: Drew Lampe (64.139.98.---)
Date: May 17, 2008 02:07AM

I am new to rod building. I think it is a very good hobby to get into. There are so many nice people that are willing to share their knowledge with beginners. I thank all of you for helping me advance in this fine art. But now to my question. I am building a Batson Rainshadow 6' 4 pc. one of them little pack rods. And i was thinking to keep the amount of space that the rod will take up, i would use double toe guides. This will just be used as a rod once in a while to catch little fish in streams and small ponds, and what not. i was wondering if this would be a good idea or if i should stick with the normal single foot. thank you in advance for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide selection help
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 17, 2008 02:19AM

There is no reason to use double foot guides on a rod like that. If it's a spinning rod, I would suggest using the New Guide Concept method outlined in the Library at the top of this page. Personally, I would use something like a #25, a #8 SF and the rest no bigger than #6 ceramic fly type guides the rest of the way. The key for best performance/sensitivity is light, light, light!!!

Sounds like a fun set up! Go for it and keep us posted

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 02:21AM

Single foot guides are lighter, if weight is an issue for you. But we've been using wire guides for our pond rods, with great success. We use a large stripper in a double-braced style, and the rest are unbraced, which are lighter and a bit more flexible. These are all double foot but they weigh measurable less that the ceramic guides.

If you want to discuss it in more detail just contact me directly by email.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: May 17, 2008 03:50AM

i am not so worried about weight, as durability, and price. i need this to be able to take some abuse without much harm. and i am trying to keep the price as low as i can and still put quality parts on it. i was also thinking double toe guides sit lower to the pole, allowing the size of case to stay down. i acually thought of putting Batsons "F" series guides on it, the ceramic fly guides, but i don't know if they would put the line to close to the pole.

Date: May 17, 2008 03:54AM

Could I possibly use a DT stripper? i just don't like the height of ST butt guides, it may just be me but they i think DT sit closer to the blank and that is what i want.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2008 06:36AM

I have two of those pack rods built with Fuji Alconite SF guides and I can assure you that they are plenty durable. They have been ALL over the country and fought plenty of fish. Don't sweat the small stuff. A #20 butt guide and #5 running guides will work fabulously on that blank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2008 08:28AM

On very high guides you may be better off with a double foot model to gain that added durability. But once you get down to the running guides, I'd go ahead with fly type single foots. I've made many heavy saltwater spinning rods this way and they work great.

If you can exercise just a little care - you could certainly go with all single foot guides. In fact, when you come right down to it, they're more durable than you blank is going to be.

Date: May 17, 2008 04:42PM

SO if i went with a #20 stripper guide, how many transition guides, and total guides, and what sizes, and i think i am going to go with a DT stripper guide and ST ceramic fly guides. i am asking becuase i am new to this art, and this is going to be my first build without a kit. I am really excited to do this build, I even want to turn my own grip, but i am trying to keep the cost down. how long of butt grip and foregrip do you think would be good.

I am sorry if this is to many questions but i want a good rod, and i am hoping if i get some hints, it can help ease the learning curve.

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.br1.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 04:48PM

I am not as knowledgeable as the other guys here. I think Rainshadow means a fly rod blank. Not sure if they use that name in both spinning an fly rods. But....from what you stated you want a small package rod. You could get an 8" straight cork handle with slip rings from Jann's Netcraft. With slip rings you could either mount a fly reel on it and fish, or a spinning rod that mounts on bottom...like an open face......and fish the same rod as a spinning rod. You could put Fuji Alconite #6 single foot guides....all the way. No stripper guide.....I don't think you need one on a rod that small. And the same single foot guide for the tip top. No tubular tip top. EVERY guide a #6 Fuji. Hmmmm....I'll have to try that.
Jim

Date: May 17, 2008 05:45PM

Drew,

I think that you're confusing people. First what kind of rod are you building, spinning, casting or fly?? A "transition" guide is ONLY used on some types of spiral wrapped casting rods (NOT the Simple Spiral). Your answers DEPEND on that information and will be completely different depending on the type of rod.

What is the model number of the blank that you have? The smallest 4 pc blank that I see on the Batson site is a 6'6" Forecast FLY blank.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 17, 2008 06:20PM

Drew said he has a 6'0" 4-piece pack rod. Unless I am mistaken, there is only one ... the SB720-4.

Date: May 17, 2008 06:29PM

I see it now! If it's casting, I would use a 12 and then fly type 6's all the way out. Spinning I would go 20SF, 10 SF and fly type 6's all the way out

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 17, 2008 09:47PM

Depending on how small a reel you are putting on it, either a 20, 12, 8L, or 16, 10, 8L and then 5's out to the tip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 10:08AM

The easiest thing to do is just get in touch with Batson. They will hook you up with every thing you need after telling them what you want to build. Good stuff !!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2008 10:12AM

The easiest thing to do is just get in touch with Batson. They will hook you up with every thing you need after telling them what you want to build. Good stuff !! Also for single foot guides learn the Forhan Wrap. They will not come loose.

Date: May 19, 2008 06:54PM

Could i go #20 DT, #12 DT #8 ST ceramic fly, then 3 #6's ceramic fly, (or more depending in the static testing)? this will be a spinning rod, just to clarify. I will use a Forhan Locking wrap, i do it on all my ST after learning about it. Would that be able to handle most small to medium reels? I don't have the reel that will be used for it.

Date: May 19, 2008 07:07PM

IMO, the DF guides are not the correct application for that blank. I have two of those rods that go on all my long distance trips ... both built with SF guides - BYAG20J, BYAG12J, BYAG8LJ, BLAG6's to the top. Build them as light as possible, those blanks are fun if you do.

Date: May 19, 2008 07:57PM

So if I went #20 SF, #12 SF, #8 ceramic fly, and then the rest #6 ceramic fly, do you think that would work or should i do all one type of guide? would regular spinning guides then ceramic fly guides look odd and out of place?

Date: May 19, 2008 08:03PM

Here's the exact part #'s I used ... BYAG20J, BYAG12J, BYAG8LJ, BLAG6, BFAT6(4.5). They will match perfectly and perform wonderfully. I only use Fuji guides and these part numbers are for Fuji Alconite with Black Frames. I am sure that if you want to use another manufacturer - someone can help you with the exact numbers.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.87.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2008 09:16PM

I myself never liked the Alconites only because the ring set very close to the blank. I always liked the batson guides because they have a nice little bend that put the ring some what highter then the alconites. Less rubbing , less friction, faster casts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster