I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paint under underwraps?
Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 03:18PM

Is it advisable to paint a Forecast matte clear (grey) blank in the underwrap areas before wrapping with a light-colored Madeira Poly Neon #40? If so, is there a recommended paint? I'm about to do a bunch of (13) rods, and this may save me some agony. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint under underwraps?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 03:30PM

I would wrap size 00 silk, 00 white, or 60wt Polyneon & coat with CP instead of painting the blank. Every time I painted the blank it ended up a disaster, especially when I wasn unable to get straight lines at each end.

For weight freaks, thread is definitely lighter than paint, and 00 or 60 wt thread is definitely lighter than A or 40wt. YOu will be able ot wrap teh 40wt right onver the smaller thread, the way people wrap D over A on larger rods, so you won't have to worry abotu putting a coat of finish on the underwrap which will also keep the weight down.

lol.

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 05:15PM

i used kilz primer under chartruse maderia

Posted by: Lou Wasmund (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 05:29PM

White Krylon really makes the light colors pop on a dark blank, for me.

Posted by: Ilya Gorin (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 05:49PM

Billy, probably you'll get straight lines at each end with masking tape. Good results are with silver or gold paint, depends from yours thread.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 16, 2008 08:41AM

With the masking tape, it seems teh paint seeps under, or when I peel it off the straight line goes crooked. I tried several times before I stuck with what I'm good at...thread. lol.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 16, 2008 09:32AM

On a dark colored rod using light colored thread I've used masking tape and spray painted where all of the guides were supposed to go. What a pain in the butt. The trouble with painting is when I would start wrapping and packing thread I would scratch the paint and have to take a brush and paint the scuff or scratches, then let it dry and go back to wrapping and packing again. If you don't do a touch up on the scratches then the dark color of the rod will bleed through and however big or small the scratches are they stand out pretty good. Then you start all over again.Tthe reason the paint scratches so easily when packing is it can't adhere to the slick surface of the rod. I did think about using spray epoxy paint to see if it would adhere better but I'm trying to stay away from dark rods and light thread. The rod that I did turned out pretty nice but it was a lot of extra effort and patience. I'm sure if you have all those rod to do you're going to find out a method to what works. Let us know.

Billy, when using masking tape use the edge of your spatula to make sure the tape is packed down around the edges. Pack the tape down really hard along the crease before folding the tape over that will keep the paint or epoxy from seeping.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.98.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: May 16, 2008 10:14AM

I've had good luck with gloss white Krylon and masking tape. Trim bands usually cover up any leakage.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2008 11:55PM

i just picked up some metalic gold and metalic silver mylar tape. very thin. my first use was 1/4" tape under 340 gold on a very dark brown blank.
worked very well. the gold undercoat makes the gold thread look, er gold even with varnish as a finish. the use of it has its issues though. you have to be very precise with the placement of the seam. i make sure the seam is right under the guide foot. wrapping up to the edge is tricky as well but can be mastered. here is a link to the tape depot. [www.thetapedepot.com]. the tape is available in 1\4" and 3\8" widths.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster