I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dissapointed
Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:16PM

i'm becoming more and more disappointed with the options (or lack thereof) of winding checks. you would think by now some company would start producing a large array of decorative winding checks. all there is to choose from right now is:
1. simple rubber ones
2. knurled aluminum ones
3. expensive matagi checks with hit and miss availability
4. very expensive arcane checks on mudhole
5. make your own. (not a good option for people with limited time)

what is everyone's thoughts on this? i would have expected since the "no foregrip revolution," the winding check business would have gotten a little creative.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dissapointed
Posted by: Matt LeBlanc (65.96.197.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:34PM

I agree, it is tough to find a good selection of winding checks, even harder to find available butt end plates for light spinning rods. On my last rod I used metallic thread and built up the thread to make my own sort of thread ramp winding checks on a split grip. I wasnt sure how it would come out, but it surprisingly came out pretty good.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 02:51PM

Make your own with Flex Coat 5-minute epoxy. Coat with a bit of Testor's paint. Add trim band - with or without incorporating a hook keeper. Finish and enjoy. IMO, it doesn't get much simpler and it looks great ... also no need to size the blank before purchasing a winding check.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 03:22PM

I personally do not like winding checks! I have ZERO on any rod I own and dont want one. Like suggested a nice trim band, epoxy, marbling, and a number of other things can, and will look BETTER..... to me anyway. I have only bought 1 winding check, and that was at request for it. Fit those handles perfectly to the blank and ROLL ON.....

DR

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 05:04PM

i see what you guys are saying. but i would still like to see some creativity from manufacturers in this area.

Creativity...
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2008 05:23PM

Better yet, why not some creativity from the custom builders - this is the aspect of fishing rods that we're supposed to excel in.

There are a lot of things you can use for winding checks - O-rings, costume jewelry rings, plumbing fittings, etc., etc.

Colors? RodMaker issues Volume 9 #5 and Volume 9 #6 contain 2 great articles by Joe Emig on powder coating and multi-color painting of components including reel seats, hosels, caps, etc.

The custom builders who are able to command the best prices for their rods and cultivate the most solid customer base are the ones who take that extra step and make or at least modify what the commercial makers offer. These builders are able to offer their customers items that they can't get anywhere else.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.lsanca54.covad.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 09:21PM

Personally, Im not a big fan of winding checks either, and prefer wrapped over epoxy ramps, but occasionally will use winding checks. Part of the fun of custom rod building is getting creative with such things. Currently im lookin for a big shiny chrome lugnut to bore out and use as a winding check on a Harley themed rod...LOL!!

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 10:06PM

I used a threaded rod and some washers (two different sizes to get the taper I wanted) to make a tapered, rubberized cork winding check for a no foregrip, simple spiral wrap rod. The only other specialized tool I used was a sanding block. Turned out great.

Les

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2008 10:21PM

Scott Throop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally, Im not a big fan of winding checks
> either, and prefer wrapped over epoxy ramps, but
> occasionally will use winding checks. Part of the
> fun of custom rod building is getting creative
> with such things. Currently im lookin for a big
> shiny chrome lugnut to bore out and use as a
> winding check on a Harley themed rod...LOL!!

Great minds
I just spent an hour at Home Depot today trying to find hex nuts to fit a Rainshadow ISB782 I'm building for a customer who is a mechanic. I think I'm going to have to coat the inside with a coat of epoxy and dry before adhering it to the blank to provide a cushion. I'm not sure how metal directly on graphite will work.

matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2008 10:24PM by Matt Dotts.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2008 10:29PM

I don’t use winding checks. I build my rod to handle pieces so that the tolerances are close enough not to need them. Also make my own but caps and forward caps when using graphite tubing on spinning rods.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: May 15, 2008 11:09PM

I am a fan of winding checks and metal trim rings.

I use Matagi and have never had a problem. I am dabbling with the idea of making my own. Just need to do some research and fins the stock tube.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: May 16, 2008 08:23AM

Im with Chris. I love the aluminum Matagi trim rings winding checks and butt caps. But I admire all the others who have the ability to make thier own parts. I look at the pictures here and am amazed at what you guys can think of and put to use.

-Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 16, 2008 02:17PM

Matt
Home depot also carries the nylon bolts and nuts. A lot lighter in weight but no colors. Maybe color them some how ? A spray auto paint ?

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.181.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: May 16, 2008 10:53PM

Lance;
Take a look at REC, they have nickel silver winding checks with a variety of knurling or plain. I build bamboo rods and I really like the look of their rope knurled checks that I swage to a hex shape to fit the rod tightly right in front of the cork.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster