I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning eva
Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.networkusa.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 04:41PM

need tips and techniques, i just bought a lathe today

BIC doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning eva
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: May 12, 2008 04:48PM

drywall mesh sandpaper to form, finish with 400 grit sand paper.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: May 12, 2008 05:33PM

Be careful.. in no time at all, you can accidently take off more material than you wished!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:35PM

Take heed of the above. Drywall screen is GREAT. If you are starting with square blocks, Stanley Sureform files will get it round in a flash but be very careful as it will ciut very fast

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2008 01:13AM

One trick is to use an emory board (like you'd use for a nail file). Comes in various grits and doesn't take off so much at a time. Another idea is 12oo grit paper on a sanding block or round stock.

If you want to make some trim rings (grooves) use a small jeweler's file. A diamond shape will give you one kind of groove, a round file will give you another. Use light pressure.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: May 13, 2008 10:13AM

I must be using the wrong drywall screen because it take FOREVER to take any material off. I am using my rod wrapper not a lathe tho.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 13, 2008 10:26AM

Scott, try a lowe siz screen with bigger holes. That might make a difference. I usually start with 80

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 13, 2008 10:49AM

Scott, I've complained about the Drywall screen myself, I find it to be a poor choice to use sanding EVA. When I mentioned this, I was told that at SLOWER speeds, the drywall works well. I shape EVA at 3000+ RPM on my DElta Midi, by far, and I mean REALLY far - the best sandpaper to use is a 1" wide belt sander belt, cut into 6" strips. I've used the same 60-120-150 grit paper on dozens of EVA grips, and hundreds of EVA inlays this year alone, and thre is no clogging or problems or loss of abrasive whatsoever. To unclog paper while sanding all you need to do is move it up and down as teh grip spins. At high speeds, teh EVA clogs the drywall making it useless after 4 or 5 grips, and it ain't cheap.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 13, 2008 10:59AM

I've turned a lot of EVA and Hypalon and find that a Stanley SurForm file is the quickest way to knock them down to size and shape. Then, switch to drywall screen but only in the very coarse sizes - 40 and 60 grit. If you use finer grits than that you'll end up just clogging the openings in the screen.

Once the grip is sized and shaped the way you want, you can smooth with the finer drywall screen (120 to 150 grit) or use 150 to 220 grit sandpaper. You do not need to go as fine in grit when working with EVA as you would with cork.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 04:07PM

Ultra Orbital Auto Indexing Planerized EVA Curvature Initiator -

No Fooling the best there is!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Closer to you than you think for a very modest price!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster