I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt guide size
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 04:03PM

Okay, so after doing several rods with micro guides, when doing rods with regular alconite or whatever guide, it seems like using a butt guide in the 12 or even 10 range is really big. I'm wondering why a guy couldn't start with an 8, bumper 7, then all 6's out to the tip.

I'm doing bass rods, not saltwater rods with big ol' reels. What do we think?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt guide size
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2008 04:43PM

If it works, you could. If not, then you couldn't. You'd just have to try it on one of your rods and see how things go. Tape up a set and see if it works with your reel, line, lure system. That's really the only way you'll know for sure.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 05:20PM

Even when I am not using micros, i usually don't use anything bigger than an DF8 as my first. Then I use a 6 or smaller bumper.

I did just build on a Lamiglas CCB845M (with micros) and I had to start with a DF10 after static testing. Even with a low profile reel, I still needed the height off the DF10 for my first guide. I think I went DF10, DF8, 6, 4.5, 3.5, 3 on out on a revolver style spiral. Can't remember exactly the order at the moment, but it was close to that.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:08PM

Depending on the reel, there is no reason why you couldn't do all sixes if you wanted.

The Sinko rod I had at the show started with a 5mm guide, a different reel may have required a larger guide like a round reel that the top of the spool set higher off the top of the rod, don't know I didn't try a different reel.

The one reason you might want a larger guide would be on flipping sticks were you wanted extra finger room between the line and the blank to make grabbing the line easier

Like Tom said Tape a few up and try it out.

I also know one of the other builders is using all 3.5mm guides, not spiral wrapped, and is quite happy with the results.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 06:10PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2008 06:28PM

When the rod flexes, you do not want the line down on the foregrip or your hand (if you use one or have your hand there). This is the main reason for a higher or larger ring on the butt guide. That particular guide has to do more than just pass the line.

Just try a few combinations and see how it works for you.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 12, 2008 07:10PM

I have several outfits (all of my newer ones) with a sz8DF as the starting guide, these are freshwater striped bass rods and go: 8DF, and the rest sz6 flys. They work VERY well even with one of my friends using a big round Abu C3 5500 and thats a tall round reel. Like said, mock it up and go casting.

DR

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.100.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 08:35AM

I often use a 6 on the first guide and sometimes I go smaller. One of my favorite spiral combos is a DF 6, SF 5 bumper and 180, then 4's out to and including the tip.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 13, 2008 09:02AM

Mick and Duane - what DF are you using? I think I will need a small ringed higher frame DF on my new crank rod.

Thanks!

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: May 13, 2008 09:12AM

Thanks for confirming my thoughts, guys. I have built several with an 8 as the first guide, and they have all cast very nicely. But I wanted to make sure my thought process wasn't convoluted or something. Anything to drop weight they say (my wife wishes that was my approach for myself) and still be strong.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.170.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 09:31AM

Chuck, I normally use Fuji BLNAGs. They sit low, but I don't have much trouble with that. If I use a high flex blank and want a little more height, I like the VLG types.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 13, 2008 11:27AM

Chuck,

Baston's mostly, some Fuji TLNSG's and some NIC Titans as well. I have Steve Gardner to thank for this, his rods at year before last RB show were an inspiration to say the least. Since then he's helped me make some better changes to my rods in the guide department.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster