I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC stripper Guide?
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 12, 2008 08:32AM

i am building a 7 foot spinning rod at the moment using NGC

if the spool diam is 45mm could i get away with a size 20 stripper?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC stripper Guide?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 12, 2008 08:37AM

You'd just have to try it and see - the fact is, you can get away with just about anything depending on how well you want things to work. If you're using very light line then possibly it would be fine, but it would have to be a pretty high guide to work well without being set a very long distance from the reel.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: May 12, 2008 09:54AM

My test casting using the NGC has shown that the best-sized stripper is slightly more than 50% of the lip size. I built a surf plugging rod recently, and the spool lip was something like 55 mm. Since half that is 27.5, I thought that I would be fine with a 25 stripper, but I was surprised to find that a 30 worked noticeably better during test casting than the 25 did. In a few instances since then, I've found this to be true: where 50% of the spool is between two guide sizes, the larger one tends to cast better.

These have been my results, but as Tom says, let your own actual testing determine the size. Nothing you read in a book or that someone tells you will be as accurate as your own tests.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 10:15AM

Tom - you could try a #20 match guide. I have done that on a few rods with a 20, 10 and then #6 flys. This is for light line (6 or 8# mono) or Fireline. Another consideration is lure weight and casting distance required. If you want to pitch a 1/8 oz jig thirty yards on 8# mono, then that is one thing, but if your going to lob a 1/2 oz lure on braid or superline its another.

Date: May 12, 2008 10:32AM

Line diameter plays a huge role here, lighter line can utilize a smaller ring without penalty, heavier line needs a larger ring.

Posted by: ray sheker (---.255.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 12, 2008 02:00PM

i have used a size 16 stripper on a 50mm spool no problems.
the key to the whole thing is the palcement of your stripper.

Date: May 13, 2008 02:12AM

well it will be used with PE 0.6 line predominantly and even smaller than that. equivalent to approx 3lb fireline. ill test and see i spose.

Date: May 13, 2008 02:13AM

if it ends up that a 20 works fine is it alright if its like 27 or something inchs from face of the reel?

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 13, 2008 05:35AM

I usually go a little larger, having come to the same conclusion as Chris did. That said, adjusting the position of the butt guide can play a huge role in location, size and number of control guides before you get to your running guides. You have between 18 and 23 inches to work with according to the NGC, and with fine diameter braided line, it may even be possible to utilize spacing a little outside of that range. What rod is it going on Tom?

Date: May 13, 2008 06:51AM

my new bream/bass spinning rod :)

GUSA Pioneer PUR70UL 2kg 7 foot
matched to shimano stradic FI 2500

might have to go get a 25 size and compare

Date: May 13, 2008 08:37AM

I wouldn't want the stripper way out at 27 inches. You're likely to get a lot of line slap at that distance, both on the cast and on the retrieve.

If you are dead set on using a size 20 ring, then make it a very, very high frame so you can get it back towards 20 to 23 inches from the reel spool.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 13, 2008 09:32AM

Tom, I've just strapped my biomaster 2500 to my All Star, which is set up to take my 1000. Butt guide is a size 20, and falls 21 inches from the spool lip. You should be fine with a size 20 high frame anywhere between that and 23 inches, in my opinion. The only thing that would push me to use a 25 is if the line flow coming off the spool was severely choked. Strap them up and test cast to see which serves you best.

Date: May 13, 2008 11:02AM

Often the larger ring diameter is simply used to get the line path higher and straighter between the reel spool and choker guide. The line will only use a small portion of it anyway.

If higher frames were available, I have no doubt you could get by with a size 20, or even smaller.

Date: May 14, 2008 02:12AM

awesoem thanks a heap ted.

i just used 27 as a random figure.

ill try both and see :)

Thanks guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster